Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MW with Dual GPUs - need Opti app still?

Past Administrator

MW with Dual GPUs - need Opti app still?

Just an off question - since I have dual GPUs in this thing, it automatically crunches 2 MW WUs at a time...should I still use the opti-app which would then make it crunch 4 at a time? Just checking...

Harley

Re: MW with Dual GPUs - need Opti app still?

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Just an off question - since I have dual GPUs in this thing, it automatically crunches 2 MW WUs at a time...should I still use the opti-app which would then make it crunch 4 at a time? Just checking...

I tried that a while ago. I never saw much of a difference. The cards were crunching twice as many WU's at a time but they were taking slightly more than twice as long to complete.

Past Administrator

OK, thanks Harley. I'll leave it on regular mode, then. Joker suggested switching to MW for a bit while the cred is good...so I've made the switch.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Harley View Post
    I tried that a while ago. I never saw much of a difference. The cards were crunching twice as many WU's at a time but they were taking slightly more than twice as long to complete.
    In my experiences, the WUs take slightly less than twice as long running two at a time. Since it takes BOINC a non-zero amount of time to start a new WU, allowing two to run at once lets the card take advantage of that "idle" time by letting another WU use it. Which is why unsyncing your MW WUs when running two at a time is also helpful...

Another reason to use the app_info file: it allows you to set the priority of the GPU, making sure the CPU is always available to feed the GPU...

Harley

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    In my experiences, the WUs take slightly less than twice as long running two at a time. Since it takes BOINC a non-zero amount of time to start a new WU, allowing two to run at once lets the card take advantage of that "idle" time by letting another WU use it. Which is why unsyncing your MW WUs when running two at a time is also helpful...

Another reason to use the app_info file: it allows you to set the priority of the GPU, making sure the CPU is always available to feed the GPU...

I may have to give it another try. DrPop ignore me!

Past Administrator

Hehehe...OK. I may give it a try too - how do you set the priority of the GPU over the CPU in the opti app?

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Hehehe...OK. I may give it a try too - how do you set the priority of the GPU over the CPU in the opti app?
    Edit the cmdline to "p3 b-1" (quotes not included).

Administrator

Whether you run multiple wu at a time per card makes about a 2% difference. What DOES make a big difference is using the p3 b-1 in the opti app command line. That elevates the GPU priority to HIGH so it takes precedence over any CPU task and the GPU doesn't have to wait to get serviced. On most machines with high speed GPUs this makes a 6-8% difference.

Platinum Member

And note that 2% is about 5k/day on a 5870...

Harley

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    And note that 2% is about 5k/day on a 5870...

I'm definitely gonna have to try it again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast