Thread: Buying a UPS

Platinum Member

Buying a UPS

Not the store. A Universal Power Supply. Or, so as not to confuse the Best Buy help, a Battery Backup.

Since Best Buy doesn't carry one that's good enough, I need to search online. But since I'm not too UPS savvy, I thought I'd ask.

I need a UPS to back up the Silver Hammer (dual 5970s in Crossfire, one HDD, one optical drive, AMDx6 1090T, HAF 932 case). I have a gold rated 1000W PSU running everything, and it runs well. I just need the backup.

I'd like something adequate to back that up (my 750W UPS is insufficient). Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated...

Silver Member

Post Re: Buying a UPS

I swear by APC. At least a 1500. WOn't help that beast of yours ride out a long power outage but should hold up for the typical flickers and short term brown outs. It can also be set to gracefully shut down the hammer instead of dropping it. Battery lasts about 4 years and can be replaced easily since it's a very popular model. I've run them for 10 years. Shop around for the best price.

Re: Buying a UPS

The Carbondale Staples is showing "low stock" on the APC Back-UPS XS 1500VA, you might want to give them a call and see if they have one. 618-457-2825
    http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-...product_797220

How many Watts is that box actually pulling?
    Last edited by DrBob; 12-10-10 at 03:39 AM.

I have an APC 1500 something or other, with both my boxes on it. So it is running a dual core with a 5870 in it and an I7 with 2 275GTXs. If I plug in the monitor also it starts beeping at me so I'm right on the edge. I just turned the beeping off and leave the monitor plugged in. It will only keep them all running for 3 or 4 minutes if the power goes out, but it does keep me from losing a day of crunching every time the power blinks off for 3 seconds.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrBob View Post
    The Carbondale Staples is showing "low stock" on the APC Back-UPS XS 1500VA, you might want to give them a call and see if they have one. 618-457-2825
    http://www.staples.com/APC-Back-UPS-...product_797220

How many Watts is that box actually pulling?
    Thanks for that heads-up. And not sure about how many watts it's pulling - don't have the thingie (technical term ) that let's me figure that out. This is why I posted what I'm running. I'd guess in ~850W range, but that is really little more than a guestimate.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell View Post
    Thanks for that heads-up. And not sure about how many watts it's pulling - don't have the thingie (technical term ) that let's me figure that out. This is why I posted what I'm running. I'd guess in ~850W range, but that is really little more than a guestimate.
    A so called 1500W UPS will have an actual throughput of anywhere from 800W to 1200W or so depending on the efficiency of the unit. Basically a 1500w UPS can cost anywhere from $200 to $600 or more with the higher priced ones having much better throughput.

Past Administrator

Thanks for that heads-up. And not sure about how many watts it's pulling - don't have the thingie (technical term )...
    I think you are referring to an AMP meter. There are basically two for what you need. An In-Line Amp/Power Meter & Clamp Meter. IIRC clamp meters only read amps (current) but with Ohm's Law you can calculate Power (Watts) with P = I * E, where I = Amps and E = Voltage.

Given for your edification.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

not sure about how many watts it's pulling - don't have the thingie (technical term ) that let's me figure that out.
    I've got a thingie ... send me your computer and I'll be happy to measure the power for you

Administrator

Here's a thought Matt, call you local Batteries Plus store and see what they have in stock. Most of them carry them and they aren't fast movers so sometimes you can get real good prices on them. I bought an APC 1500 last winter (about this time) and it was much cheaper than anything I could find online. Even though the UPS may have been sitting on the shelf a year or more they give a full warranty on the internal batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I think you are referring to an AMP meter. There are basically two for what you need. An In-Line Amp/Power Meter & Clamp Meter. IIRC clamp meters only read amps (current) but with Ohm's Law you can calculate Power (Watts) with P = I * E, where I = Amps and E = Voltage.

Given for your edification.
    Right on F$
    For a cheap & easy way to calculate your cruncher draw buy a P3 Kill A Watt.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882715001
    Accurate enough for what we need. It will give you the draw in Watt, Amp or VA, as well as KWH for those that care about their power bills. Also measures voltage & Hz of the line.