Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: JPM - Open discussion on next gen CPUs please?

Platinum Member

Re: JPM - Open discussion on next gen CPUs please?

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    At the high end, best bet, Piledriver could be as much as 25% faster than the current fastest Bulldozer. 15% per clock increase + 10% higher clock. But would a 25% faster Bulldozer be faster than Haswell's version of a 2600K? Hmmm...
    So it was restated today in an interview with AMD conducted by TigerDirect that the new Piledriver (Vishera) CPUs are still going to be compatible with socket AM3+, however the estimated speed increase has come down. Previously it was said there would be up to a 15% instruction per clock increase. This has now been lowered to only a 7% increase. Boo. Still, there is also the 10% higher clock speed to combine with that. So if you already have an AM3+ mobo, it could be worth the upgrade.

By my estimates, the 8-core version (FX-8350) should perform on par with a 4-core i7-3770k at stock speeds, except use more power, though it is a bit more power efficient than it's Bulldozer counterpart.

Release date is still Oct. 23rd.

Past Administrator

So that means it will outperform an i7-920, yes?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    So that means it will outperform an i7-920, yes?
    Yes by about double, which the 3770K does. But it's just my estimate. Don't go out spending money on AM3+ stuff until we see the actual numbers. Don't need to be let down again like with Bulldozer

But if you already have an AM3+ mobo, then it will definitely be a worthwhile upgrade

Platinum Member

As promised, October 23rd. Time for the new AMD CPUs...and i'm disappointed yet again

3dmark-11-performance.jpg

Depending on how you justify it, at least the FX-8350 (125W TDP) is cheaper than the i7-3770K (77W TDP)by $110. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ssors-Desktops

More benchmarking: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2055/1/

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post

Depending on how you justify it, at least the FX-8350 (125W TDP) is cheaper than the i7-3770K (77W TDP)by $110.
    I don't see an advantage of being cheaper when the i7 consumes less energy. At my price of electricity the i7 will become cheaper after 597 days of non stop use without taking into consideration its productivity.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    I don't see an advantage of being cheaper when the i7 consumes less energy. At my price of electricity the i7 will become cheaper after 597 days of non stop use without taking into consideration its productivity.
    Correct and [H]ardOCP sees it the same way as stated in the conclusion of their review (Here). But I do see some potential for the 8320 with its 95W TDP and its apparent ability to OC. This would put the 8320 in the Sweet Spot of the Vishera line.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Moving back to Haswell, more info has surfaced on the Z87 chipset which will support the Haswell line - Socket 1150. Legacy connectors, such as IDE are no longer supported. SATA II is gone. Everything will be SATA III. PCI slots are gone. Everything will be PCIe with up to 8 PCIe slots. Next year, when boards with the Z87 chipset are released (April-ish) marks the 20th anniversary of the PCI slot and Intel has decided it's time for them to go poof.

Of course SATA II is still supported with the SATA III connectors. Most boards currently have a mixture of both. Z87 will support up to 8 SATA III connectors as well as Thunderbolt.

Past Administrator

Although I understand that many people might still make use of the legacy stuff, I'm glad its going away. I don't like the concept of paying for tech I'll never use. Like RS-232 which you can still find on boards today.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Although I understand that many people might still make use of the legacy stuff, I'm glad its going away. I don't like the concept of paying for tech I'll never use. Like RS-232 which you can still find on boards today.
    Aye agreed.. finally boards without pci,ide ,and sata2 so should be cheaper to make... So now maybe i can get a 3-4 pcie slots without paying the heafty $200+ for some extra pcie controller.

Platinum Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast