Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winblows 8 Expected to Fail Miserably

Past Administrator

Re: Winblows 8 Expected to Fail Miserably

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    I don't know if I'd want to touch something that may give me a "blue screen of death".
    Errrr..... Linux Lover!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Errrr..... Linux Lover!
    Just so long as you don't get the PSOD (Purple is the Screen of Death in the VMWare world) or the RSOD (Red is the sign of severe hardware error in an HP Blade.)

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Register
    Waiting for a second Windows 7 Service Pack? Keep waiting – it doesn't sound like Microsoft will be releasing one.

Sources close to Microsoft's sustained engineering team, which builds and releases service packs, have told The Register there are no plans for a second Windows 7 SP – breaking precedent on the normal cycle of updating Windows.

Instead, Microsoft will keep updating Windows 7 using patches released each month until support for Windows 7 comes to an end. That date is currently slated for 24 months after the most current SP – that’s SP1, which was released in February 2011 – and would put end of life at January 2020.

The decision not to release a second service pack for Windows 7 comes just at the time when Microsoft would typically be preparing to release the pack.

People have been asking about SP2 since August.

SP2 for Windows XP rolled out nearly three years after the operating system’s release while the Windows Vista SP2 came just over two years later. With the Windows 7 OS having been released in October 2009, we are now at the trailing edge of the standard release window for SP2.

This means every update to Windows 7 since SP1 in February 2011 will need to be applied individually and – if you’ve been holding out – retrospectively.

Asked to comment, Microsoft said it didn’t have anything to say about Windows 7 SP2.

Service packs are a pain for Microsoft, because they divert engineers’ time and budget from building new versions of Windows. In this case, the anticipation for Windows 7’s SP2 comes around the same time as the launch of Windows 8, out later this week. Also, by ending SPs, Microsoft could be pushing customers towards the completely new Windows 8.
    Win 7 lifecycle info: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...lpha=Windows+7

Past Administrator

That's what they say but when retail & corp. customers start raising hell M$ will have no choice but to release Win7 SP2. Look at WinXP. It is still listed in the lifecycle list as supported. It was originally slated to end like 5 years ago or more. BTW, today marks the 11th anniversary of the first release of WinXP.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I still have the beta Win 8 rnning on 1 machine, but I have decided that the "new look" and the improvements that they made are not for me. I just don't like them so I will not be buying any upgrade packs even though the price is right. I will wait for SP's for Win 7 or will take a look at the next version of Windows.

Sorry Microsoft, but you didn't make a fan of me on Win 8.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    That's what they say but when retail & corp. customers start raising hell M$ will have no choice but to release Win7 SP2. Look at WinXP. It is still listed in the lifecycle list as supported. It was originally slated to end like 5 years ago or more. BTW, today marks the 11th anniversary of the first release of WinXP.

A company where I used to work and who considered themselves "cutting edge" finally allowed employees to upgrade from Windows 2000 to Win XP in 2010. Then again, they declared bankruptcy this past summer. :-)
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

The Mayans may freeze over, but with how cheap it is, I may actually buy Win8. Whether I install it or not will remain to be seen.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    The Mayans may freeze over, but with how cheap it is, I may actually buy Win8. Whether I install it or not will remain to be seen.
    I think the only thing that would sway me towards Win 8 would be if there's a significant increase in processing speed due to it supposedly being "lighter". Key word being "significant". Otherwise i'll just run Win7 for the next 11 years like the hardcore XP users

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    I think the only thing that would sway me towards Win 8 would be if there's a significant increase in processing speed due to it supposedly being "lighter". Key word being "significant". Otherwise i'll just run Win7 for the next 11 years like the hardcore XP users
    Ditto here. What I'm really waiting for is when the gaming coders fully embrace Linux. Even if they were to use the Steam distribution model. It would be cool to play Doom4 or UT 20xx on Linux. The real stumbling block is a Linux replacement for DirectX......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Well, I changed my mind. I went to Microsoft's page to take the $39.99 deal to download, but I can't get past their Windows only download program. They obviously have no intention of winning Linux users back or they assume there's nobody out there without a Windows install. I'm not paying an extra $30 for the DVD. I'm not going to install Windows just so I can download another Windows.

I tried using Wine to download it, but that didn't work. Oh well. I saved $40.
    6r39 7r199

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast