Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you think if I should continue with this...or not?

eruda

Do you think if I should continue with this...or not?

It was China's National Day , and thus the one week vacation... Finally I have spare time and, yesterday, I shut down one of my air heaters to do some cleaning maintenance...
    And found there's something wrong...

I can't upload images here, so pls move to this thread: http://www.equn.com/forum/thread-35445-1-1.html

I am planning to return the PSU to its vendor and hope they can fix it.
    But I don't know if I could continue with this board?
    The model is p6t7 ws supercomputer. I had 3 gtx480s on this and it seems to be overloaded on the 12V and burned out the pins...
    Asus claimed that the board was capable to have 7 gpus running together, but I wonder if it was only something claimed, but never the truth~:S

Anyone had the similar situ before? Need suggestions and I worried a lot as if it may be caught on fire when I was sleeping >__<

Past Administrator

Re: Do you think if I should continue with this...or not?

This is a good question for JPM and Fire$torm, I am sure one of them will say something here soon. I did have a motherboard catch on fire last year, and it was not pretty. Thankfully I was close by when it happened!

If it was me, I think I would have ASUS replace it, because that is just not right - is the board still under warranty?

Platinum Member

You are not the only one to have this problem with that board. Return it if you can or sell it. Those boards are not made properly to support so many PCIe slots. There should have been at least 1 additional 6 pin power connector on the board specifically for the PCIe slots but there is nothing. Running 3 GTX 480s causes an extra 18.75 amps to be forced to travel through the standard plug and they are not meant for that much current. This is Asus fault, not your PSU's fault.

Past Admin

Looks like it has a 3 year warranty. If you can send it back.

Past Administrator

Hi eruda,

As usual JPM (John P. Myers) is correct, Asus designed a bad motherboard.

Just in case what JPM said is not clear I have some pictures to help explain it.

The ASUS P6T7 WS Supercomputer motherboard

Here is what Asus should have done

MSI Big Bang-XPower II

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Correct And the MSI Big Bang Marshal has those 2 8-pins plus another 6-pin. It's almost like you can physically feel how smoothly the electricity flows through that board

The bad part is that 8-pin on the Asus there is actually a 4-pin connector. The other 4 pins are wired directly to the CPU's VRMs (in most cases, to provide stable CPU overclocking). This is a perfect example of why i have a dislike for Asus and how their quality has diminished over the past 3-4 years, sub-contracting other companies to make their boards for them.

Alot of people say they have an Asus and run 3 GPUs just fine. But this type of failure is one that can take a year or more to show itself. If you overclock, it can happen much quicker. You simply can't put that much current demand on so few thin wires. Sure you have a 24-pin main power connector, but you need to be aware only 2 of those wires are +12V.

eruda

Thank you all, I decide to retire this p6t7 board. And... do you have any suggestion which has additional 12V plugin other than msi bigbang? cheaper is better, due to my money bag
    thx!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by eruda View Post
    Thank you all, I decide to retire this p6t7 board. And... do you have any suggestion which has additional 12V plugin other than msi bigbang? cheaper is better, due to my money bag
    thx!
    For Intel Socket LGA 1366 there is not much still for sale. It is now old tech...

If you are getting new Socket LGA 1155 CPU + Motherboard then maybe EVGA P67 FTW 160-SB-E679-KR (EVGA Link) (Newegg Link)

For Socket LGA 2011 maybe the ASRock X79 Extreme7 (ASRock Link) (Newegg Link) - Note: This ASRock MB has x1 8-Pin 12V ATX power connector + x1 Molex 4-Pin SLI/CrossFire power connector.

I am fairly sure you do not order hardware from Newegg.com but they are one of the best web stores for U.S. geeks like me I just included info from them for comparison.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

This one is very good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128472 and is my personal favorite brand.
    It also happens to be the only socket 1366 board left for sale by Newegg that can properly handle 3 GPUs except for this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813188070 but it would require you to use Xeons instead.

Past Administrator

Well his CPU is a dual core Xeon (Link) so I'm guessing he wouldn't mind.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 10-08-12 at 01:56 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast