Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Diamond Member

Re: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Duke, in 1942 the Japanese were planning to attack Pearl Harbor, destroy our Pacific Naval Fleet, and begin WWII against the US. Admiral Yamamoto, who had attended college in the US, planned and executed the attack. During the planning there were many in the Japanese military that wanted to then invade the western United States after our navy was crippled.

Yamamoto, knowing the US people, said; "Invading the US is impossible because behind every tree there would be an American with a gun!" Duke, THAT is Freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    yea I have read it, but something is still fishy. a 2 year old, must be a big one. not very many 2 year olds would have the strength or a large enough hand to hold a gun, even a small 380. I just think there is something more to this story.
    I dont think that self defense can be confused with freedom but I understand the need of having self defense in order to defend our freedom as I dont think the Japanese would be the true enemy, when we talk about freedom, I think that today our Governments are much more our enemy when we talk about our freedom.

When I read the story I also thought it was stranger a 2 year old child be able to shot a gun but well I read it and post on "What are you reading?" because it is a real unusual story.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Buckingham View Post
    I dont think that self defense can be confused with freedom but I understand the need of having self defense in order to defend our freedom as I dont think the Japanese would be the true enemy, when we talk about freedom, I think that today our Governments are much more our enemy when we talk about our freedom.

When I read the story I also thought it was stranger a 2 year old child be able to shot a gun but well I read it and post on "What are you reading?" because it is a real unusual story.
    Duke, many Americans if not most believe you can not have real freedom if you don't have the right to own a gun. The reason being if you don't have a gun and I do then you are under my control. you do what I say or I can shoot you or someone you love. the only way to defend from a gun is to have one, that being so then every one should have a gun. you are right the Japanese would not be the enemy today our own government is more than anyone else. the fact still remains our government can't take us over as long as we have our guns, that is why they want to outlaw them.
    https://signature.statseb.fr/sig-1240.png[/url]

Platinum Member

"The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature, they disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by shiva View Post
    Duke, many Americans if not most believe you can not have real freedom if you don't have the right to own a gun. The reason being if you don't have a gun and I do then you are under my control. you do what I say or I can shoot you or someone you love. the only way to defend from a gun is to have one, that being so then every one should have a gun. you are right the Japanese would not be the enemy today our own government is more than anyone else. the fact still remains our government can't take us over as long as we have our guns, that is why they want to outlaw them.
    That is because we have a difference of opinion and that we have for very long shiva and in fact is about what we consider self defense or what we consider freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature, they disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    - Thomas Jefferson (quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria)
    "If the freedom of speech is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
    George Washington

Gold Member

The Tennessee Valley Authority is asking electricity users in its 7-state region to voluntarily reduce their power consumption until Thursday afternoon as a result of frigid temperatures causing high demand across the Southeast...

Consumers can reduce their power consumption and lower their power bills by:

- Turning down the thermostat. Lowering the temperature just one degree can result in a savings of up to 3 percent.

- Postpone using electric appliances such as dishwashers, dryers and cooking equipment.

- Turn off nonessential lights, appliances, electronics and other electrical equipment.

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/b...ernoon/281455/

I guess I could underclock my GPUs and throttle my CPUs for a few days...

Platinum Member

Well, they said "nonessential... electronics", and I'm pretty sure BOINC is essential. So you're fine.

Platinum Member

A computer that uses 1000W puts out exactly the same amount of heat as a heater that uses 1000W. Turning off your computers just makes the heater run more often. Same amount of power used either way

Unless you have gas heat, but i've found electric heat to be cheaper.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    A computer that uses 1000W puts out exactly the same amount of heat as a heater that uses 1000W. Turning off your computers just makes the heater run more often. Same amount of power used either way

Unless you have gas heat, but i've found electric heat to be cheaper.
    My cruncher is in the wife's home office... who needs a space heater when you have an OC'd 7970 blasting away!

The trick is that the thermostat is also in that room... meaning the rest of the house is several degrees colder than the set point. Which is all fine and good, as long as she stays in the office

Platinum Member

Needs 2 more 7970s

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Diamond Member

I am reading "Common Sense" by Thomas Paine, a very impressive book of a very impressive man.

“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.”

“One of the strongest natural proofs of the folly of hereditary right in kings, is, that nature disapproves it, otherwise, she would not so frequently turn it into ridicule by giving mankind an ass for a lion.”

― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast