Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: World Community Grid: Launch of Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) capability for the Hel

Silver Member

Re: World Community Grid: Launch of Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) capability for the

Quote Originally Posted by grathomp View Post
    Hey, nanoprobe. Try this one. I also included the Nvidea version of this app_info. This one works for me as well and was posted by glennaxl here.
    BINGO! We have a winner. With this app_info I just quadrupled the out put of my 7970. Thanks a ton, I owe you one.cheering.gif

BTW glennaxl is a team mate. Really sharp on Nvidia stuff.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Diamond Member

Re: World Community Grid: Launch of Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) capability for the

<sarcasm>Guys, slow down on the GPU stuff. Credits are great and all, but crunching via GPUs may complete the work before I get my blue badge.</sarcasm>
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Friend of SETI.USA

I guess WCG doesn't want to ruin it's Reputation for being stingy with the Credits, seems like I get less & less for the Wu's. Started out with the BETA Wu's getting around 59 Credits, then when the regular Wu's started flowing I was getting about 39 Per Wu, now I see I'm only getting about 29-31 Per Wu. wonder where it'll fall to before it stops, could be something to do with Credit New ???

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I guess WCG doesn't want to ruin it's Reputation for being stingy with the Credits, seems like I get less & less for the Wu's. Started out with the BETA Wu's getting around 59 Credits, then when the regular Wu's started flowing I was getting about 39 Per Wu, now I see I'm only getting about 29-31 Per Wu. wonder where it'll fall to before it stops, could be something to do with Credit New ???
    It gives the same credit per wu as the CPU-version of HCC, meaning it should stabilize around 30 - 35 per wu.

Diamond Member

Creditnew? !/*%#$&£€?

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

cant seem to keep the WUs flowing very well either.. they trickle outs in batches of 12 or 13..

Diamond Member
    My guess I that this is a learning experience for the project. They've never had to feed such volumes of tasks before. I run it along side other GPU projects, so I don't run out of work.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
    cant seem to keep the WUs flowing very well either.. they trickle outs in batches of 12 or 13..
    WCG is using fairly low limits on tasks per scheduler-request, task in progress and starting daily quota, but atleast personally I've had no problems getting enough work. But seeing I'm on the low end of the scale with roughly 5 minutes/wu and only one GPU, anyone with multi-GPU and using 1.5 minute/wu is more likely to run into problems.

The low limit on task in progress is to a large extent due to buggy v6-BOINC-clients. Since WCG delivers a customized BOINC-client, to automatically attack to WCG, more users than normal is still running v6.10.58. Since WCG does various internal tests before releasing an upgraded client it takes much longer time than normal before a new release is out. While many users does run the WCG-version, it's of course possible to run the normal BOINC-client and many users is doing this.

WCG is the 2nd. largest DC-project based on #active users and the largest based on #active computers. SETI@home has more active users but fewer active computers. So while GPU-crunching is new to WCG, handling so many tasks per day isn't really anything new to WCG. While looking on the short-term stats, it seems GPU gave an increase from 600 k/day to 1.1 M/day. But, looking more long-term, start of September the production was around 900 k/day, and going even longer back around April the production peaked at 1.76 M/day. The low output in October is due to the two sub-projects with lowest average run-time/wu was ending, and due to a file-system problem most other wu's was increased in size. The problem with file-system have been fixed and they also added more memory to their servers.
    Last edited by Rattledagger; 10-14-12 at 08:38 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345