Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Community Grid: Launch of Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) capability for the Hel

Diamond Member

World Community Grid: Launch of Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) capability for the Hel

We are excited to announce the release of GPU processing capability for the Help Conquer Cancer project!

More...

Re: World Community Grid: Launch of Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) capability for the

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    We are excited to announce the release of GPU processing capability for the Help Conquer Cancer project!

More...
    anyone run this application... does it pay shit like the rest of WCG?

Past Administrator

Re: World Community Grid: Launch of Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) capability for the

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
    I haven't but I'm sure it does.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I haven't but I'm sure it does.

That was mind-reading...

Silver Member

Actually it runs very well. They've been beta testing since January. What it pays can't be measured in points IMHO

Now it's with a little sadness that I let y'all know I will be setting my GPUs to run this and will be leaving POEM for a while. I lost my mom to cancer and I'm a cancer survivor myself so this project has always been close to my heart. Once everything gets settled I will use some of my CPUs to help with challenges where I can. I will be around the forums and I will be watching when SUSA takes over the #1 position in POEM.

Crunch on.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Actually it runs very well. They've been beta testing since January. What it pays can't be measured in points IMHO

Now it's with a little sadness that I let y'all know I will be setting my GPUs to run this and will be leaving POEM for a while. I lost my mom to cancer and I'm a cancer survivor myself so this project has always been close to my heart. Once everything gets settled I will use some of my CPUs to help with challenges where I can. I will be around the forums and I will be watching when SUSA takes over the #1 position in POEM.

Crunch on.
    I hear you, we all lost or almost lost friends and relatives to cancer and crunched against this. If it just helps making you feel better and one day may help somebody, it's the best way to go.

We will miss you on the POEM team, but I am hoping we will see you back there soon.

Administrator

Crunch on.
    I'm so sorry nanoprobe. I lost my father to cancer on the 9th of September so I can feel for you. I wish you and your family the best.

Diamond Member

Okay, gonna need an app_info.xml so that my machines get only GPU tasks for HCC, while my CPUs get only other specific projects. The app_info.xml language baffles me, even after all these years. PLEASE?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Well, let's see, on my i7-920 with an Ati-HD5850, a HCC-task on CPU apparently takes 1.91 hours = 115 minutes. On the GPU, a HCC-task takes roughly 5 minutes.

My guess is WCG will give the same per task regardless of how it's crunched, meaning GPU should give roughly 23x more cobblestones/day per core.

If takes into account the cpu has 8 cores, this means cpu can do 100.2 tasks/day if runs only HCC on cpu. With the GPU, cpu-production drops to 87.7 tasks/day but with an additional 144 from GPU the total is 231.7 tasks/day and this again should equal 2.32x more cobblestones/day.

If assumes the same speedup across the board, this means HCC instead of using 736 days to finish will only use 318 days to finish.

Past Admin

Crunch on.

No problem. We are glad your here and please continue to use the forums. Also if you are up to it could you post your results on your different gpus?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast