Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need SETI@home GPU opt app advice

Diamond Member

Need SETI@home GPU opt app advice

I am using the .40 lunatics installer. (Yes, I know it's been removed from the d/l site due to legal issues that are to be resolved.)

Anyway, I need optimization advice, and I am hoping our ARMY of S@H users can help provide it.

CUDA: I think this is fairly straight forward, as there is only one kind of task to choose. But what is the right ratio of tasks and CPU usage? I have 560 TI, and 580. I am currently using .25 CPU and 2 tasks per GPU. What settings *should* I be using?

ATI: This one is more complicated. There are two different apps: Multibeam and astropulse. My cards are all 7970. Many questions

1) Which pays better?

2) If MB, same questions as with CUDA. What CPU and number of tasks per GPU to use?

3) If AP, more complicated questions. What number of tasks per GPU. And what with that number in mind, what options settings? For example:

-unroll 32 -ffa_block 16384 -ffa_block_fetch 8192

I have no idea what any of these options do, and this is probably an incomplete list. Does a FAQ for this stuff exist?

TIA!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Re: Need SETI@home GPU opt app advice

Okay, I looked at the top hosts. AMD cards are *WAY* down the list. So it looks like there is no point in using AMD cards there.

So I am refining my question. Best settings for nVidia cards listed in the previous post?

Past Administrator

Sorry Z, I wish I could help. Did a little looking around but there doesn't seem to be much out there or its buried pretty deep in the forums. Might I suggest PM'ing one of the guru's on Lunatics forums?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Draconian

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Okay, I looked at the top hosts. AMD cards are *WAY* down the list. So it looks like there is no point in using AMD cards there.

So I am refining my question. Best settings for nVidia cards listed in the previous post?
    Know this was asked a while back, but figured to reply.
    I was crunching SETI for quite a while, also using lunatics .40. Running a single GTX680 on a hexacore.

Found that running 2 gpu tasks on it were about all that it could handle - using MSI Afterburner, found that GPU usage was in the 80s to 90%.
    Have been through their optimization threads and haven't really come across anyone having success with running more than 3 tasks per card. No worries about CPU resources for the tasks - the data itself is pretty small and isn't CPU driven (you'll see very little CPU resources per task - and it's fine that way).
    All of this is, of course, assuming that the project is up and pushing tasks - they have hot a little trouble lately keeping the system on line due to short power failures.

Gold Member

I am looking for the lunatics v 0.4 installer, any one have it. I was trying to get the extra gtx 680 engine in my gtx 690 to run seti (can't get both to do poem) and it is erroring out. Sounds like lunitics is the way to fix the problem, but of course it can't be down loaded. If anyone has it I would love a copy.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    I am looking for the lunatics v 0.4 installer, any one have it. I was trying to get the extra gtx 680 engine in my gtx 690 to run seti (can't get both to do poem) and it is erroring out. Sounds like lunitics is the way to fix the problem, but of course it can't be down loaded. If anyone has it I would love a copy.
    I've got it. PM sent.

Diamond Member

We can crunch SETI with GPU? Man, I was lost with that one ... I thought only Seti home beta had GPU tasks.

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Unless things have changed recently, prepare for some frustration on Seti. Slow downloads and servers off line from Tuesday - Thursday every week. You should have time between now and Tuesday to build a 3 day cache to get you through the dry spell. Good luck!

Gold Member

Received from Al, thanks.

Diamond Member

For those who need it:

32 bit windows
    64 bit windows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast