Thread: Help Conquer Cancer app_info.xml files

Diamond Member

Re: Help Conquer Cancer app_info.xml files

Thanks STE\/E.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    You have to run a app_config.xml file now at the WCG Project, something like this is working for me: It works for either ATI or NVIDIA Cards, adjust to fit your needs, .5 CPU & 8 WCG GPU Wu's works good for me on my 3770k CPU & 7970 GPU's

<app_config>
    <app>
    <name>hcc1</name>
    <gpu_versions>
    <gpu_usage>.50</gpu_usage>
    <cpu_usage>.125</cpu_usage>
    </gpu_versions>
    <max_concurrent>8</max_concurrent>
    </app>
    </app_config>
    Just an FYI. You must update your BOINC client to 7.0.42 to use the app_config file. If you try it with a lower version you'll get the error message Duke was seeing.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Diamond Member

That is the version I am using for sometime nanoprobe. Thanks for the advice. I have posted on WCG Forum also and Lawrence come into my help. I will restart the computer tonight and see if everything is OK but I think it will be.

Gold Member

WCG doesn't want people using an app_info.xml file. In fact, due to a bug in recent versions, BOINC ignores that the platform is not allowed and a fix is in place which will keep future versions from working with it if the project doesn't allow it. The app_config.xml is allowed though, regardless of the platforms allowed by the server, so that's the best option.

Then again, you may be able to include the platform element in the app_info.xml file to get it to work anyway. If that works, don't tell DA!
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Friend of SETI.USA

I'm helping out Team China in the WCG Challenge since our Team isn't entered ...

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I'm helping out Team China in the WCG Challenge since our Team isn't entered ...
    Good idea Ste\/e. Team China has been a good friend.

Diamond Member

Yeha, they are a lot of friends. Very nice to have so many friends.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    WCG doesn't want people using an app_info.xml file. In fact, due to a bug in recent versions, BOINC ignores that the platform is not allowed and a fix is in place which will keep future versions from working with it if the project doesn't allow it. The app_config.xml is allowed though, regardless of the platforms allowed by the server, so that's the best option.

Then again, you may be able to include the platform element in the app_info.xml file to get it to work anyway. If that works, don't tell DA!
    There was also a bug found in the WCG server code that was allowing the app_info platform to work. The techs have already stated the the code will changed to remove the bug and crunchers will eventually be forced to upgrade their BOINc client to run the app_config set up. I've been playing with it and so far I've found that you may be able to drop an app_config file into any of the project folders and assign cores to run them. I have an i7-860 that is currently running 4 cores on WCG ( 3 on SN2S and 1 on CEP2) and 2 cores on Skynet POGS. Later today I'm going to see if I can get the other 2 cores to run Docking or Lattice or maybe one of each .

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    There was also a bug found in the WCG server code that was allowing the app_info platform to work. The techs have already stated the the code will changed to remove the bug and crunchers will eventually be forced to upgrade their BOINc client to run the app_config set up. I've been playing with it and so far I've found that you may be able to drop an app_config file into any of the project folders and assign cores to run them. I have an i7-860 that is currently running 4 cores on WCG ( 3 on SN2S and 1 on CEP2) and 2 cores on Skynet POGS. Later today I'm going to see if I can get the other 2 cores to run Docking or Lattice or maybe one of each .
    Now that sounds superbly interesting! You mean DA finally gave us a way to circumvent DA's braindead scheduling? So, if I have 8 projects all at equal Resource Share on an 8 Core box, I can force it to only run one task per project so I can get the desired distribution of effort. Rather than having one naughty project over-cache and suck away all the resources as the client determines that's the only way it can make deadline. Leaving the other seven starved of their fair share.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Now that sounds superbly interesting! You mean DA finally gave us a way to circumvent DA's braindead scheduling? So, if I have 8 projects all at equal Resource Share on an 8 Core box, I can force it to only run one task per project so I can get the desired distribution of effort. Rather than having one naughty project over-cache and suck away all the resources as the client determines that's the only way it can make deadline. Leaving the other seven starved of their fair share.
    It's working, sorta. Instead of Docking or Lattice I'm now using the other 2 cores to run SIMAP. I only have the cache set for 2 days and it doesn't load an equal amount of tasks so each project will get 2 days of work, it just totals them all up for the 2 days. I use Boinctasks so I just suspended the tasks that were in cache that already had 2 days worth and let the other projects fill up with 2 days worth 1 at a time. I don't know what setting the overall cache higher would do but I doubt it would spread out the load among the projects evenly. Even so you could set a higher cache and with a little micro-management fill up each project and forget it for however many days of cache you desire. Not perfect but it's not that hard to manage.(so far )
    Now I don't have each project with an equal resource share so that's something else I'll have to play with.
    Now that it's possible to assign a specific project to x amount of cores maybe there is a way DA can make it so each project gets the amount of tasks per cache setting. Where's the suggestion box?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast