Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Upgrade

Administrator

Windows 7 Upgrade

Currently I am running Vista Ultimate 64 bit; I want to upgrade to Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, as opposed to the Ultimate version.

I've looked up the information on Microsoft's site and it would appear that I can upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Professional but I am not positive.

Does anyone happen to know if I can do this or do I have to upgrade to Ultimate?

Thanks
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Swordfish

Re: Windows 7 Upgrade

You can purchase whichever version you want and still get the upgrade pricing. If you aren't 100% set on 7 Professional check out the following link. You will get three licenses to Home Preminum (you get both 32 bit and 64 bit media) and a Cisco wirless router for $149.99 with free shipping. The two versions are very similar.

http://store.microsoft.com/FPCisco-offer
    Last edited by Swordfish; 12-12-10 at 02:26 PM.

Past Administrator

You should definitely upgrade as Win7 works a whole lot better than Vista.

The only legitimate difference between Home Premium and Pro is Windows XP Mode which is M$ version of a virtual machine. For most users XP Mode is a waste of system resources and money. VirualBox works just as well and it is free but with XP Mode, the app will minimize down to the system tray and VirtualBox cannot (whoop-de-do).

The only other caveat is that ALL Win7 x64 system drivers must be M$ certified (WHQL). This means you cannot install third party drivers from apps like RivaTuner, ATI Tray Tools or software from any developer that cannot afford the $250.00 fee every time they update a driver. Utter BS.

Edit: I would strongly recommend that you do a clean install of Win7 rather than an upgrade. You can still use an Win7 upgrade disk for the install just have the installer format the hard drive. And remember to backup BEFORE you upgarde
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 12-12-10 at 03:50 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Thank you for the information guys. I appreciate it.

I think I will wait and buy the full version and do a clean install. I was thinking about upgrading only to solve a minor problem that I am having now; however, upgrading would be an expensive solution to a minor problem so I am going to wait.
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Past Administrator

I hope I didn't scare you off
    BTW: When you are within 30 days of moving to Win7 you can install it before you buy it. Win7 has a built-in 30 day trail period. It will even allow you download available updates and security patches during the trial period. You just have to give it the product key to activate it. No need to reinstall it after the trial.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I hope I didn't scare you off
    BTW: When you are within 30 days of moving to Win7 you can install it before you buy it. Win7 has a built-in 30 day trail period. It will even allow you download available updates and security patches during the trial period. You just have to give it the product key to activate it. No need to reinstall it after the trial.
    No, you didn't scare me off. I planned on going to Windows 7 when I built my next computer which is still after the first of the year. I was considering an upgrade only because it would fix the problem I have now; however, it's an expensive solution to a very minor problem.

I didn't really want to reinstall everything either, another reason why I was considering an upgrade.

Edit:

Okay, so where would one get a trial of Windows 7?
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 12-13-10 at 06:42 AM.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    No, you didn't scare me off. I planned on going to Windows 7 when I built my next computer which is still after the first of the year. I was considering an upgrade only because it would fix the problem I have now; however, it's an expensive solution to a very minor problem.

I didn't really want to reinstall everything either, another reason why I was considering an upgrade.

Edit:

Okay, so where would one get a trial of Windows 7?
    You could borrow one from a friend that has it. If that is a no go for you you can FTP it from me or I could put it on rapidshare.com, but I would have to split it up with WinRaR because Rapidshare has a file size limit of 500MB so Win7 would be split into seven parts. Lame.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    You could borrow one from a friend that has it. If that is a no go for you you can FTP it from me or I could put it on rapidshare.com, but I would have to split it up with WinRaR because Rapidshare has a file size limit of 500MB so Win7 would be split into seven parts. Lame.
    It looks like you can download it directly from Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495 ) and it looks like it is a 90 day trial.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

The upgrade copy that I have says that you can upgrade Vista to Windows 7 but you cannot upgrade XP unless you do a clean install. I also recommend a clean install and use the 64 bit disc. Start over if you can. It's cleaner and you will get rid of any problems you may have on the old install.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    It looks like you can download it directly from Microsoft (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495 ) and it looks like it is a 90 day trial.
    When Win7 first came out you could download the Home Premium edition IIRC but no more. That edition Slicker mentions is the Enterprise edition but it must be activated within ten days and then allows a 90 day trial. The product key is built into the installer. If you can afford the Enterprise edition then go for it. But it is the MOST expensive version of Win7.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast