Thread: New to SETI.USA

Srvyr1969

New to SETI.USA

My name is Brian and I am new to this site. Have had interest in this type of material and connected material for as long as I can remember. If anyone knows where or if I can view star charts live or a data base, please let me know. I currently keep all my data on paper charts as I am new to doing this on a computer.

Silver Member

Re: New to SETI.USA

Hey Brian, welcome to the site!

Past Administrator

Hi Brian, welcome to the team! We're glad you're on board with us, and if you'd like to help out in the Prime Grid Challenge, it's only a few days away, and we could sure use any help we can get!

As far as star charts, are you thinking something like this? http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/

Past Admin

Welcome to the team Brian.

Srvyr1969

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Hi Brian, welcome to the team! We're glad you're on board with us, and if you'd like to help out in the Prime Grid Challenge, it's only a few days away, and we could sure use any help we can get!

As far as star charts, are you thinking something like this? http://www.fourmilab.ch/yoursky/
    How could I help? will do my best to help in anyway I can.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Srvyr1969 View Post
    How could I help? will do my best to help in anyway I can.
    After 8 of the 9 challeneges for the year, we are in #1 but only by 80 points, so we can use all the help we can get. This one could be a nail biter!

To help out:
    1. Use BOINC Manager to join the PrimeGrid project.
    2. Setup your profile and be sure to join team SETI.USA (you have to do this for each project you join for the team to also get credit for whatever you crunch personally).
    3. From your home page on PrimeGrid, select the PrimGrid Preferences link
    4. Edit the preferences.
    5. Select No to all projects except "Proth Prime Search (Sieve) The Winter Solstice Challenge project"
    6. Save the preferences.
    7. Set the project to No New Tasks in BOINC and continue to crunch SETI or whatever you like until Dec. 18th at 18:00 UTC (Just use the countdown clock on the PrimeGrid home page to see when the start time is for you).
    8. As soon as the project starts. Suspend all other projects and set PrimeGrid to Allow New Tasks in BOINC Manager. Only work downloaded after the beginning of the challenge and returned prior to the end is counted.
    9. Visit message board and join in the banter about the race while it is running and check the stats on the PrimeGrid to see if you are in the list of participants.
    10. Make sure to click "Update" in the Projects tab of BOINC Manager as close to the end of the challenge (Dec 21st at 23:38 UTC) as possible to make sure your computer reports any work it has done but not returned yet.11. After the challenge is over, set PrimeGrid to No New Tasks and resume work on your favorite projects(SETI, AQUA, Einstein, etc.)
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Srvyr1969 View Post
    My name is Brian and I am new to this site. Have had interest in this type of material and connected material for as long as I can remember. If anyone knows where or if I can view star charts live or a data base, please let me know. I currently keep all my data on paper charts as I am new to doing this on a computer.
    Welcome.

There's an interactive star map in my signature. I have it set to my region, but you could always set it to yours.
    6r39 7r199

Platinum Member

Brian, first off, welcome to the team. We enjoy talking with new members. I love astronomy myself, so your in good company. There is an interactive sky chart that I use from time to time at Atsronomy.com It's not great, but usefull. I know there must be others, and if I can think of them. I'll let you know.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!