Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful Election Day!

Silver Member

Successful Election Day!

Hi everyone in the US!

I hope you all already went to, are going or will go to vote, so the new government will have the broadest possible legitimation, well at least from Team SETI.USA that is, to run office in those next four years to come.
    Anyone not voting is wasting her/his vote and has lost her/his right to participate in political discussions, but that is just my humble opinion, but I defend that opinion valiantly.

I hope you will be happy with the outcome and the success will come in the next four years!
    CH
    "Everything will be great at the end! And if it is not great, it is not yet the end!" "Do not ever strive for perfection! Strive for excellence instead!"
    "Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even a single one!" "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

Diamond Member

Re: Successful Election Day!

Well in Portugal the people gave 86% to Obama and 5% for Romney in a street questionnaire of "Whom would you prefer on the withe house?", the other 9% don't know or don't care.

But Portugal as most of the states are from the continuity of power on a general way. Things must be very bad to have any change on Portuguese preferences.

There several articles but I only found this one in the internet but it is in Portuguese.

http://www.dn.pt/inicio/opiniao/inte...20Foco&page=-1

I hope you all can express your free vote on any circumstance.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

I'm waiting for the amendment that does away with the electoral college so that the election can truly be decided by the majority vote. That will also end the problem where a candidate wins 51 to 49% and get ALL of that states electoral votes and can end up winning the election with less than 50% of the vote. That's a republic, not a democracy.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    I'm waiting for the amendment that does away with the electoral college so that the election can truly be decided by the majority vote. That will also end the problem where a candidate wins 51 to 49% and get ALL of that states electoral votes and can end up winning the election with less than 50% of the vote. That's a republic, not a democracy.
    I like the idea of a republic more than a mob rule mentality of a pure democracy. But I wonder if a proportonal electoral college allocation within each state would be better or if that would really just be the same thing as a majority vote?

Past Administrator

I remember hearing that some states require the electors to vote according to the ballot totals. Is this correct?

@CH: Yep, I done did vote. Arrived at my local polling place at 7:10 this morning. Had to wait in line almost an hour before I was able to cast my votes. BTW, here in Michigan the Proposition to legalize marijuana did not make it onto the ballot. That pissed off a lot of people around here......

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

I don't understand the republic but I do understand democracy.

Republic are Romans crucifying slaves of all nations. Democracy are Greeks killing Persians.

Historians stuff sorry Mr. Hankey. Even Sparta was much more to his citizens than the republic of Rome was for Romans but it is not easy to explain. On this I am on slickers side.

But I really think we are all on justice side, if there is someone that can explain us, where justice is. The real problem is about words and their meaning, words are so different from concepts, as concepts are different from ideas. We just don't know what we have talked because what we have talked is always changing.

Yeha I know I am a crazy ...

Go to elections vote in the one you believe is the best and than pay the price, that is what I am doing for this last few years. That is to be a republic and that is we all have to be...

Rome was the worst thing given to the world, they destroyed democracy, religion and good men. And well they proved that who crucified Jesus Christ were the Jews. Well I thought that were the Romans but what do I know after all I am a Jew.

After the Roman Empire came Hitler's Germany, all good things. Hitler used the concentration camps and Rome used the Circus. Ones were burned the others eaten, at least the Romans were helping the lions.

This text is not against anyone, is only my way of saying why do I think and what. Rome was such a disgrace for me as Hitler's Germany maybe worst.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    I remember hearing that some states require the electors to vote according to the ballot totals. Is this correct?
    Yes it is. But the key words are "some states". Not every electorate has to vote according to how the people of that state told them to vote. Rogue votes can really screw things up while disobeying their constituents at the same time.

Diamond Member

Each state defines how its electoral votes get allocated, winner-take-all or proportional. It's not a federal thing.

It is in the best interests of the two parties to ensure they are winner-take-all. Even if it means that they happen to lose. At least it keeps out any third parties from the process.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

If things get really close there are instances where the electoral college reps can vote how they wish in an attempt to break a tie. There is nothing that says they have to vote for the candidate that won their state.

Silver Member
    So, news over here is, it is "Yes, we can again!".
    I for one think under the global circumstances, Obama deserved a second chance, since others would not have been able to serve their country any better under those contextual circumstances, IMHO!

Regarding the election system, oh boy, I am just happy I am quite familiar with the German system on all levels to be elected, dudes! So I can not really discuss this and first would have to read up on the US system again...

I hope more than 50 % of all people allowed to cast their vote have participated, so it represents a common consensus and all US people can really live with this outcome. Well, I know, I know, you all now have to, but I for one think Obama to have been the better choice...
    CH
    "Everything will be great at the end! And if it is not great, it is not yet the end!" "Do not ever strive for perfection! Strive for excellence instead!"
    "Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or even a single one!" "Infinite diversity in infinite combinations"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast