Thread: Dieter Dengler...A true american hero.

Past Admin

Dieter Dengler...A true american hero.

Hello team..

I just tonigth got to see the incredible documentary of US Navy Lt. Dieter Dengler. Born in Germany 1938, became US citizen in 1957 went to Vietnam under US flag. He got shot down in Laos in 1966, but escaped Vietcong POW camp after 5 months..

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/die...n60-042304.jpg

I must say....

I did burst out in tears. That story is so incredible. Back in my young days. (now 17 years ago) I served my country as UN soldier in former Yugoslavia...Still today I can picture the horror in my mind, as it happend yesterday. Still it can keep me awake at nigth...

Please know this:

I am so proud to be part of some american history here on this team, even though our goal is not to win a war. But it shows me so clearly what I have always admired about you: Dedication, sacrifice and the will to overcome and prevail any situation in life. I truely try to live my life still today after those pricipables, as I find them important for every mankind.

With that said...Please accept my humble invitation, should you ever come across my door. What is mine - is also yours.

Thank you for being a great team. And thank you for letting a nutty Dane be a part of that!!!
    Last edited by Beerdrinker; 12-14-10 at 04:30 PM.
    Proud member of SETI.USA since 28īth December 2005.

Joined old MB Dec. 28th 2005 - 5837 posts

Past Administrator

Re: Dieter Dengler...A true american hero.

From this half Swede: I am truly grateful to have you on this team. You are a genuine asset and your sabbatical awhile back had many of us bummed out.

Cheers Mate.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Beer, my friend, this place would not be this place...nor this team, this team without you. We are more than delighted to have you aboard, and the pleasure is all ours. Thank you for being a committed SETI.USA Veteran!

Harley

Beer my friend , you are more "American" than many of my fellow countrymen. God bless you. It is an honor to be on the same team as you.

thepossum1

Beer, I am soooooooo glad you came back to us!!! You are an asset to the team PLUS, I just love having you around I was more than bummed when you left, although I totally understand your reason at the time. Agreed--you are more American than some of our countrymen!

Doing the happy dance!

Diamond Member

Beer you are a good man and deserve all the best on your life. The USA were made with a mix of men and women of all countries that for different reasons got to that country in search of a better life. They may went in search of freedom, food, house, lands or all those mixed and much more I might have forgotten now.

I have an history that makes me feel something strange in my eyes also. An history of good will and good men taking care of a small Portuguese so far from his home. I can not copy the link but you can go there if you want to know more.

Peter Francisco: American Revolutionary War Hero

http://www.historynet.com/peter-fran...y-war-hero.htm
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever