Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What did you buy on Black Friday?

Diamond Member

Re: What did you buy on Black Friday?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    unfotunately, the older cases, although uquiped to take a video card, were never designed for a card that puts off so much heat. unless you can modify the case, you're stuck with the case open and a fan pointed towards it.
    How ancient is this case? Anything from the last 5 years or so should do better with more shaped air-flow in the case, than open-case random flow.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Friend of SETI.USA

There's noticeable difference it Temp's with my ANTEC 900's with or without the side of the case on so I run them all with the side off ...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    How ancient is this case? Anything from the last 5 years or so should do better with more shaped air-flow in the case, than open-case random flow.
    Not that ancient Z, just poorly designed and purchased before I had access to all you tech people and the desire to run multiple gpus. When it was purchased, the system only had 1-gt430, if that gives a sense of its age.

The front only allows for one fan and it's right behind the huge push button for powering it up and resetting...it also has a digital temp mounted in that same button. This forces the front fan to pull air only from the bottom front of the case through a 1/2" slot. I can't put a big fan on the side panel because things are so tight the fan would rub the water cooler lines for the cpu. As for temps, with the side on I can reach thermal shutdown quite easily. With the side off and the box fan the gpus rarely get above 73c. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the bigger box.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    There's noticeable difference it Temp's with my ANTEC 900's with or without the side of the case on so I run them all with the side off ...
    Here is a "mod" that I use that works very well and keeps most of the dust out for those who run with the side off the case. Go to your local Lowes, Home Depot, whatever and buy some window type AC filters. They are very thin and look like sponge. Also buy a roll of velcro tape. Place the prickly side of the velcro around the edges of your case. Stick the filter to it and trim to fit. If your case is larger than 1 filter take 2 (or more if needed) overlap them about 1/2 inch and glue them together. It ain't pretty but it works.

http://s303.beta.photobucket.com/use...ml?sort=3&o=14
    Last edited by nanoprobe; 11-23-12 at 09:07 AM.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Diamond Member

A Twinkies

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Past Admin

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Here is a "mod" that I use that works very well and keeps most of the dust out for those who run with the side off the case. Go to your local Lowes, Home Depot, whatever and buy some window type AC filters. They are very thin and look like sponge. Also buy a roll of velcro tape. Place the prickly side of the velcro around the edges of your case. Stick the filter to it and trim to fit. If your case is larger than 1 filter take 2 (or more if needed) overlap them about 1/2 inch and glue them together. It ain't pretty but it works.

http://s303.beta.photobucket.com/use...ml?sort=3&o=14
    Brilliant!!!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike029 View Post
    Brilliant!!!
    Thanks. I do have my moments.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Silver Member

Went with this motherboard for the new media center just couldnt justify the added cost to go mini-itx plus this board had extra sata 6 ports for the new HD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157293 104.99 free shipping

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by coronicus View Post
    Went with this motherboard for the new media center just couldnt justify the added cost to go mini-itx plus this board had extra sata 6 ports for the new HD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157293 104.99 free shipping
    Sweet!

I'm envious of all the upgrades but happy for you guys Keep'em coming people!!!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Sweet!

I'm envious of all the upgrades but happy for you guys Keep'em coming people!!!
    My great purchase was a new USB printer cable because my old one went poof a few months ago. That's all i've got to brag about :/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast