Thread: anyone into coin collecting?

GregK

anyone into coin collecting?

I just bought a 1899 Indian head penny that started my latest collecting kick. lol now im looking to buy a 1859 Indian head best i can get for under 20$. then might as well go up from there i like the circulated ones i took it out of its pouch. that is alot of history! what started this is lately Ive been thinking of the previous oldest coin i ever owned it was a 1903 penny i found in circulation but lost it yrs ago. whats your story? the coin is in "G" condition it only has a hint of the what i'll call "ribs" in it so the next i want in better condition i only pd 2.75 for it. makes me wish i was metal detecting again. wish there were clubs around here.

Diamond Member

Re: anyone into coin collecting?

I am trying to join some since I am alive, I just can't.

Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

GregK

lol!

Advisor - Stateside Division

I've actually just recently started looking at my old coin collection. Got quite a good collection of English and French coins going back 150+ years.

Gold Member

I can't even keep coins in my pocket so I sure can't keep them for a collection.lol

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Platinum Member

Have a lot of them, but not worth much. I get some rolls from the bank and go through them to see what I can find. There's a coin store in Wisconsin we go to whenever we are there. He keeps these coffe cans with old siver dollars in them and we pick some out and pay the going rate for silver for them. The oldest coin I have I got from going through someone's collection and pricing them out for her. She gave me it as a token for doing it for her. I don't remember the exact date, but it is from 1 of the German city states in the 1600's I beleive. Good luck!

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Diamond Member

Yep, I am into it, casually. It comes and it goes for me.

From when a kid, I have had "books" where there are a bunch of holes with plastic sliders on each side of every "page". I spent hours and hours trying to complete the books. I still have them. My favorites are the pennies, especially the steel pennies.

And my grandpa gave me silver dollars on my birthday. Turns out that many of them were real silver.

Then starting in 1976, the feds issued bicentennial coins, and it re-sparked my interest (still as a kid).

In the 90's I got back into it again, buying proof sets every year. I even bought a solid gold set. Holy crap, did that go up in value! Wish I knew how to sell it now. No idea.

Then I fell out again.

And now I think you sparked it...
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

GregK

have fun! last night i ordered a 1859 indianhead in "vg" condition. next will be a 1909 and some airtight capsules.