Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New BOINC feature to easily run multiple GPU tasks

Silver Member

Re: New BOINC feature to easily run multiple GPU tasks

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. I've had projects sit idle for days even with all other projects suspended. When they got rid of short and long term debts and replaced them with fancier algorithms, BOINC got worse -- as usual.
    Does anyone know if it is the intent of BOINC to allow "<max_concurrent>N</max_concurrent>" in app_config.xml to override the default settings to fetch work? A project like Neurona that runs one task at a time and is 1-out-1-in doesn’t stand a chance of getting tasks especially if the other cpu tasks keep changing and their caches are always full. Moving to Numberfields@home for a short challenge seems to have upset BOINC and it cannot remember what it was doing the day before.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by somanyroads View Post
    Does anyone know if it is the intent of BOINC to allow "<max_concurrent>N</max_concurrent>" in app_config.xml to override the default settings to fetch work? A project like Neurona that runs one task at a time and is 1-out-1-in doesn’t stand a chance of getting tasks especially if the other cpu tasks keep changing and their caches are always full. Moving to Numberfields@home for a short challenge seems to have upset BOINC and it cannot remember what it was doing the day before.
    Where's some for-the-moment unknown plans to extend the functionality further later on, but atleast for now where's no connection between <max_concurrent> and cache-size.

While not optimal, setting all projects except Neurona to zero resource-share should keep one running Neurona-task except for the short periods of uploading, asking for more Neurona-work and downloading next task.

Silver Member

Neurona has been at 10000 resource share, all others at 0 for a couple of days; no work for Neurona. Had 5 days backlog for Numberfields so set to no new tasks. A day later have 7-10 days cache. Guess some features of 7.0.42 are turned off or are not functioning.

Uninstalled 7.0.42, deleted 2 client_state.xml files, deleted app_config.xml files, installed 7.0.28, Nuerona at 10000, all others at 0 resource share, preferences set to 0 days and 0 days of work. Worked fine for a few hours, now it’s back to no work for Neurona.

Edit: 2 days later everything seems to be working as I would like it to (using those last settings), 1-out-1-in across the board.
    Last edited by somanyroads; 01-05-13 at 05:06 PM.

Diamond Member

I thought I read somewhere on the mail lists that the BOINC client would be updated, so that a quit/start cycle would not be required to see changes to the app_config.xml file. Like Advanced -> Read config file menu, for the cc_config.xml. But I couldn't find where I read that.

So I asked Rom, who forwarded me to DA. His answer is, "Probably not in the near future."

Just FYI.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Draconian

Quote Originally Posted by somanyroads View Post
    Neurona has been at 10000 resource share, all others at 0 for a couple of days; no work for Neurona. Had 5 days backlog for Numberfields so set to no new tasks. A day later have 7-10 days cache. Guess some features of 7.0.42 are turned off or are not functioning.

Uninstalled 7.0.42, deleted 2 client_state.xml files, deleted app_config.xml files, installed 7.0.28, Nuerona at 10000, all others at 0 resource share, preferences set to 0 days and 0 days of work. Worked fine for a few hours, now it’s back to no work for Neurona.

Edit: 2 days later everything seems to be working as I would like it to (using those last settings), 1-out-1-in across the board.
    I tried working with 7.0.42 - and the bugs made me revert, like yourself. They have some good ideas with the new client - but some stuff to hammer out before it is ready for use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12