Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Wu's on ATI or NVIDIA ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Friend of SETI.USA

Running Wu's on ATI or NVIDIA ?

What is everybody running for amount of GPU Wu's, I'm running 4 GPU on 2 CPU for my ATI 7970 GPU's & just 1 GPU Wu on 1 CPU on my NVIDIA. The ATI runs 4 faster then the NVIDIA will run 1, is this normal ???

Diamond Member

Re: Running Wu's on ATI or NVIDIA ?

Yeah, I found the 7970 to be about 2x a 580, so I use my nvidia GPUs elsewhere. I am running 8 at a time on my 7970 with .75 CPU thread per task. At first they are all on the same pattern, all needing the CPU at the same time, and then all needing the GPU at the same time. Let it run over night, and by morning, they will have spread out, keeping a pretty steady load on both the CPU and GPU.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Yeah, I found the 7970 to be about 2x a 580, so I use my nvidia GPUs elsewhere. I am running 8 at a time on my 7970 with .75 CPU thread per task. At first they are all on the same pattern, all needing the CPU at the same time, and then all needing the GPU at the same time. Let it run over night, and by morning, they will have spread out, keeping a pretty steady load on both the CPU and GPU.
    Okay & Thanks Z, I'll try 8& see what happens or if it's better to run 8 v 4 ... Funny my WCG Signature show's the BlackHoleSun Team when I did join the SETI.USA Team several days ago ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-25-12 at 01:56 AM.

Friend of SETI.USA

There may be one but I don't know about it ...

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    There may be one but I don't know about it ...
    I can't find anything in the app_config that addresses this, but I did find a work around that is working, at least for now.

I suspended WCG and aborted all nvidia tasks and set to NNW. I lowered the number Max concurrent in the app_config. I started accepting work from Primegrid (nvidia only) and got a cache full and let them start. I then shut down BM and restarted with the adjusted app_config. WCG started (returned to accepting new work) on the ati's only since the nvidia was busy already. I'll have to wait to see if WCG will continue to send nvidia work units. If it does, I'll be curious to see if they actually start because I also set resource share on PG higher.

Friend of SETI.USA

What Wu's are running on the ATI Cards now, I have Help Cure Cancer selected & to use Video Card but the Project keeps telling me there's no work available ... ???

EDIT: I seem to be getting some ATI work now so I guess my settings are okay ... The work seems to be awful sporadic though, 6 Box's calling but only 1 with work & that's running out too ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 01-20-13 at 10:13 AM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    In a mixed system, is there a way to specify in the app_config to only use the ati gpus? Mine is using both ati and nvidia. Not a huge problem, but I'd prefer to put the nvidia's somewhere else.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Al McAdams View Post
    In a mixed system, is there a way to specify in the app_config to only use the ati gpus? Mine is using both ati and nvidia. Not a huge problem, but I'd prefer to put the nvidia's somewhere else.
    Are you talking about WCG? If so add this code to your cc_config.xml file which is in the BOINC folder, not the project folder.
    <exclude_gpu>
    <url>project_www.worldcommunitygrid.org</url>
    <device_num>N</device_num>
    <type>nvidia</type>
    </exclude_gpu>

Device N is which ever the nvidia gpu is, 0 or 1.

If you don't have a cc_config.xml file already in the BOINC folder then just copy the code below into notepad, rename it cc_config.xml and add it to the BOINC folder. Just remember to give the N tag a number for your nvidia card. You'll have to shut down and restart BOINC for the changes to take effect.

<cc_config>
    <options>
    <exclude_gpu>
    <type>nvidia</type>
    </exclude_gpu>
    </options>
    </cc_config>

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Are you talking about WCG? If so add this code to your cc_config.xml file which is in the BOINC folder, not the project folder.
    <exclude_gpu>
    <type>nvidia</type>
    </exclude_gpu>

Device N is which ever the nvidia gpu is, 0 or 1.

If you don't have a cc_config.xml file already in the BOINC folder then just copy the code below into notepad, rename it cc_config.xml and add it to the BOINC folder. Just remember to give the N tag a number for your nvidia card. You'll have to shut down and restart BOINC for the changes to take effect.

<cc_config>
    <options>
    <exclude_gpu>
    <type>nvidia</type>
    </exclude_gpu>
    </options>
    </cc_config>
    Thanks nanoprobe...while looking so hard for an answer inside the app_config, I totally forgot about the exclude in the cc_config.

Friend of SETI.USA

Yup, I'm starting to pick up a lot more GPU Wu's now, over 3000 of a few Box's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast