Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Running Wu's on ATI or NVIDIA ?

Friend of SETI.USA

Running Wu's on ATI or NVIDIA ?

What is everybody running for amount of GPU Wu's, I'm running 4 GPU on 2 CPU for my ATI 7970 GPU's & just 1 GPU Wu on 1 CPU on my NVIDIA. The ATI runs 4 faster then the NVIDIA will run 1, is this normal ???

Diamond Member

Re: Running Wu's on ATI or NVIDIA ?

Yeah, I found the 7970 to be about 2x a 580, so I use my nvidia GPUs elsewhere. I am running 8 at a time on my 7970 with .75 CPU thread per task. At first they are all on the same pattern, all needing the CPU at the same time, and then all needing the GPU at the same time. Let it run over night, and by morning, they will have spread out, keeping a pretty steady load on both the CPU and GPU.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Yeah, I found the 7970 to be about 2x a 580, so I use my nvidia GPUs elsewhere. I am running 8 at a time on my 7970 with .75 CPU thread per task. At first they are all on the same pattern, all needing the CPU at the same time, and then all needing the GPU at the same time. Let it run over night, and by morning, they will have spread out, keeping a pretty steady load on both the CPU and GPU.
    Okay & Thanks Z, I'll try 8& see what happens or if it's better to run 8 v 4 ... Funny my WCG Signature show's the BlackHoleSun Team when I did join the SETI.USA Team several days ago ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 12-25-12 at 01:56 AM.

Friend of SETI.USA

Seems to be a good improvement running 8 v 4 even leaving it on .5 CPU, I'm trying to use as little CPU's as I can so I can run more CPU Wu's, looks like about 7 Min's to run 8 WCG GPU Wu's with the GPU's at their Stock running Speeds ... ... One Box was a little balky so I suspended all the WCG Wu's and started them up 2 @ a time at 1 Min Intervals, that seemed to fix it and it's running the Wu's as fast as the other Box's now ...

Silver Member

Personally I've been running 8 Amd-7950 for 8 HT-cores, since this computer often uses 0.5 - 1.5 cores for non-DC-related things.

Friend of SETI.USA

I tried some 8 on 8 for awhile & the WCG Wu's ran slower than when on 8 on 4 (.5 CPU) so going back to 8 on 4, probably the GPU got lazier when on 8 on 8 ...

Past Admin

I've found the sweet spot for me is running 10 on 5 (7970 and 2600k .5 per core, 16gb 1600 mem.) Any more or less and it reduces credits. Temps stay a cool 50 running the 10 wus. Noise is reasonable.

Friend of SETI.USA

I have 1 Box that is taking twice as long as the other 5 Box's ? all have 7979 Cards & 3770k CPU running at the same speeds ... Weird

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I have 1 Box that is taking twice as long as the other 5 Box's ? all have 7979 Cards & 3770k CPU running at the same speeds ... Weird
    7970 driver version?

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Friend of SETI.USA

\It's been okay since shortly after I posted, I went out & rebooted it and the Wu's Running Time dropped in half ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast