Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Which one to run?

collatz
    mini_collatz
    solo_collatz
    I would run the solo_collatz.

Gold Member

Re: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

I ran 3 wu's of the mini_collatz application due to its size. Still waiting for their validation so I can see which boinc project gives more credit and uses less % of GPU usage without limiting the desktop interaction.

Carlos

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    I ran 3 wu's of the mini_collatz application due to its size. Still waiting for their validation so I can see which boinc project gives more credit and uses less % of GPU usage without limiting the desktop interaction.

Carlos
    While all three Collatz apps use the same credit calculation based on total steps, collatz is much larger and puts less stress on the server and network lines, so it gets 10% more credit than mini_collatz as an incentive for users to run it.

Since the solo app checks all results twice eliminating the need for a wingman, twice as much work gets done. That and since AMD's OpenCL performance sucks, it should pay about the same as the Collatz v2.09 ATI app. So, I thought it only fair to award double the credit. Those with NVidia GPUs should smile since they get the same credit bonus even though the CUDA app isn't much slower than the v2.xx versions.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    While all three Collatz apps use the same credit calculation based on total steps, collatz is much larger and puts less stress on the server and network lines, so it gets 10% more credit than mini_collatz as an incentive for users to run it.

Since the solo app checks all results twice eliminating the need for a wingman, twice as much work gets done. That and since AMD's OpenCL performance sucks, it should pay about the same as the Collatz v2.09 ATI app. So, I thought it only fair to award double the credit. Those with NVidia GPUs should smile since they get the same credit bonus even though the CUDA app isn't much slower than the v2.xx versions.
    So I was correct when I told DrPop that Solo_Collatz pays better.... Good to know.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post

But, correct me if I misunderstand it, didn't you say the "solo" is accomplished by doing the "Wingman" check using the CPU? Is that computationally intense? Meaning Carlos wouldn't want to dedicate the CPU to that rather than his NFS post-processing.

Gold Member

Here's the deal, with Collatz running mini_collatz wu's I can do 53k points per day when compared to 63k per day with Moo! Wrapper. Both run smoothy on my laptop.
    About the wu using a little bit of CPU, it doesn't matter because due to the fact that msieve, the program I use for post-processing jobs, isn't well optimized to take advantage of the cache and threads of an i7. Right now the job is running on 4 threads leaving 4 for the system.

Carlos

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    But, correct me if I misunderstand it, didn't you say the "solo" is accomplished by doing the "Wingman" check using the CPU? Is that computationally intense? Meaning Carlos wouldn't want to dedicate the CPU to that rather than his NFS post-processing.
    Good question since the app only allocates 0.02 cores per wu. At least on my boxes

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

I would like to see the temps of your GPU cores when running Collatz vs Moo!. At least on my rigs, Moo! has always been quite a bit more demanding of the hardware and runs hotter - not something that goes too well with a laptop, although yours might be high end with good cooling so maybe it doesn't matter?
    Try with the solo_Collatz as well, and see how much more you get than min_collatz. It will make a difference.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I would like to see the temps of your GPU cores when running Collatz vs Moo!. At least on my rigs, Moo! has always been quite a bit more demanding of the hardware and runs hotter - not something that goes too well with a laptop, although yours might be high end with good cooling so maybe it doesn't matter?
    Try with the solo_Collatz as well, and see how much more you get than min_collatz. It will make a difference.
    I am not worried about the GPU temps because I use a cooling PAD and I noticed that temperature never raised above 63 ºC, in any kind of the tested GPU applications.
    Another question is that having an Ivy Bridge processor I can use the internal GPU to help the calculations.
    I think I will stay with Collatz because the RC5-72 is a waste of processing power, always had been since the days I crunched for them. They are attacking a problem by brute force and mathematically it is not the best way when there is another.

Here is the temps running mini_collatz:

Carlos
    Last edited by pinhodecarlos; 04-23-13 at 05:08 AM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast