Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

Gold Member

Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

I am going to buy a laptop with an Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM with 16 GB DDR 1600 MHz of memory. This processor has 4 cores, 8 threads, with clock speed of 2.4 GHz with max turbo frequency of 3.4 GHz. My question: if I go to BIOS is it possible to set all threads to run at 3.4 GHz? Can I change on the laptop the vcore?

The real question is, is the laptop BIOS equivalent, with the same settings, than for a normal desktop machine?

Carlos

Draconian

Re: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    I am going to buy a laptop with an Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM with 16 GB DDR 1600 MHz of memory. This processor has 4 cores, 8 threads, with clock speed of 2.4 GHz with max turbo frequency of 3.4 GHz. My question: if I go to BIOS is it possible to set all threads to run at 3.4 GHz? Can I change on the laptop the vcore?

The real question is, is the laptop BIOS equivalent, with the same settings, than for a normal desktop machine?

Carlos
    Doubtful that you will be able to change these settings without at least a 3rd party tool. Laptop BIOS are normally VERY generic and not granular in their settings - they are "dumbed down" for the most part. They have their "optimal settings" selection - and that is fairly much hard coded into the BIOS. The reasoning, more are less, is warranty related - if you buy a laptop and were able to make all these settings changes and burned in up - well, the company would be expected to replace it. Therefore, they don't allow you to make these changes - they set them up when they leave the factory and that is more or less it.
    There are some tools and moded BIOS out there for various laptops - but you take the warranty into your own hands when you use them.
    Basically, laptops aren't generally made for "tweakers".

BIOS for your desktop motherboard is different (unless it was part of a made system). if you build it yourself - the motherboard bios has to come with many different settings available as the manufacturer doesn't know what CPU, RAM etc you will be putting in the board - they have to allow you to be able to change the settings in order to be compatible with the broadest array of devices.
    So, in short - no - you will not find the BIOS of a laptop and desktop motherboard to be in any way similar.

I have a pretty high end laptop and it still has the dumbed down BIOS - I think it is fairly standard.
    Last edited by Draconian; 12-28-12 at 11:54 PM.

Gold Member

Thank you Draconian. That was also my thought but I needed a second one.

Draconian

Thank you Draconian. That was also my thought but I needed a second one.
    Anytime Buddy.
    Unfortunately, you just don't see the options in laptop BIOS that you do in a desktop motherboard that you buy to build a system.
    Some laptop manufacturers have an active user base that do BIOS mods - my laptop is an MSI and they are doing a lot of work on the BIOS and you CAN have a custom BIOS built (it's not expensive).
    Desktops are pretty much seen as the workers - while they have, for the most part, left laptops to folks that are just happy having a computer - they don't have to mess with it. It's changing, gradually, at least with the high end gaming laptops.

Gold Member

This Friday I will pick up the laptop. It brings a AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M, VRAM 1024 MB. What GPU project can be ran on this GPU?

Carlos Pinho

Gold Member

Posting under my new laptop and already running NFS@Home. I installed Linux Ubuntu not Win 7....lol

Past Administrator

Posting under my new laptop and already running NFS@Home. I installed Linux Ubuntu not Win 7....lol
    Ha, trashed Win8, good for you! Enjoy the new tech.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Is there a program under ubuntu linux to burn mds files and iso files?

Past Administrator

Is there a program under ubuntu linux to burn mds files and iso files?
    Yes, but I cannot remember the name. Let me dig it up.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 01-04-13 at 05:32 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Yes, but I cannot remember the name. Let me dig it up.
    I have here brasero, I still need to test it. Anyway,I am now going to watch an episode of without a trace.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast