Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

Past Administrator

Re: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Yes, but I cannot remember the name. Let me dig it up.
    OK here we are.

Ubuntu has built-in software. Read this tutorial ---> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Bu...ng_from_Ubuntu

Also, to mount/unmount a DVD for viewing its contents (or to play the movie ) take a look at these tutorials

AcetoneISO (GUI Tool) ---> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=463972

Other Methods ---> http://www.debianadmin.com/mount-and...ning-them.html

And while your at it.....

Things to try After installing Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ---> http://debianhelp.wordpress.com/2012...cise-pangolin/

Things to try After installing Ubuntu 12.10 ---> https://debianhelp.wordpress.com/201...antal-quetzal/

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Hi all,

I bought a new laptop so I installed on it Ubuntu because I couldn’t understand very well Windows 8 that came incorporated with it. Then I installed virtual box and installed windows 7 64 bits sp1.My question, is why can't I have USB access under VM+Win? There's was a usb plug-in to install on VM and I did it but I still don't have access to USB connection under virtual box.

Carlos

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Hi all,

I bought a new laptop so I installed on it Ubuntu because I couldn’t understand very well Windows 8 that came incorporated with it. Then I installed virtual box and installed windows 7 64 bits sp1.My question, is why can't I have USB access under VM+Win? There's was a usb plug-in to install on VM and I did it but I still don't have access to USB connection under virtual box.

Carlos
    Been a while since I played with USB under VirtualBox, but by default it it used to be that it didn't present any USB devices to the guest unless you specifically tell it to. So, for starters, you have gone into your Guests "USB" settings and enabled the USB Controller, right? Then, you probably just need to add a Filter with all empty strings so any USB device seen by the host can be seen by the Guest. Be aware though, any USB device you present to the Guest, will then not be visible on the host as long as that Guest is running.

If you want to adjust what USB devices are seen by specific guests, you can right-click on the USB icon at the bottom of the Guest window to enable/disable specific USB devices. That is, if you can figure out which devices are which from the sometimes difficult to figure out names.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Been a while since I played with USB under VirtualBox, but by default it it used to be that it didn't present any USB devices to the guest unless you specifically tell it to. So, for starters, you have gone into your Guests "USB" settings and enabled the USB Controller, right? Then, you probably just need to add a Filter with all empty strings so any USB device seen by the host can be seen by the Guest. Be aware though, any USB device you present to the Guest, will then not be visible on the host as long as that Guest is running.

If you want to adjust what USB devices are seen by specific guests, you can right-click on the USB icon at the bottom of the Guest window to enable/disable specific USB devices. That is, if you can figure out which devices are which from the sometimes difficult to figure out names.
    Right now I am not at home so I can't be sure of the following. I remember under VM+Win 7 to see the USB icon and when clicked it shows me the virtual hard drive. And yes, I enabled the USB controller and added a new filter but I think something is escaping me because I can easily see the DVD driver (I installed under it Microsoft Office) but not other USB devices are visible.
    When I get home I'll go deep to investigate more.

Thank you in advance,

Carlos

Gold Member

How do I disable hyper threading on my laptop? There's no BIOS settings. Using linux Ubuntu.

Carlos

Past Administrator

How do I disable hyper threading on my laptop? There's no BIOS settings. Using linux Ubuntu.

Carlos
    As far as I know, if the BIOS does not have a setting for it then it cannot be deactivated. Sorry. Maybe contact the manufacturer and ask them?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    As far as I know, if the BIOS does not have a setting for it then it cannot be deactivated. Sorry. Maybe contact the manufacturer and ask them?
    The Portuguese manufacturer assistance are stupid because they didn't understand what I wanted. I am on linux, the BIOS upgrade is only available for windows, they can't guarantee the new BIOS will have the option to disable hyper threading. They don't know nothing at all.

Carlos

Past Administrator

The Portuguese manufacturer assistance are stupid because they didn't understand what I wanted. I am on linux, the BIOS upgrade is only available for windows, they can't guarantee the new BIOS will have the option to disable hyper threading. They don't know nothing at all.

Carlos
    LoL.... Sorry to hear about the poor tech support. You should download the update anyway. Every BIOS update I have ever seen can be installed from DOS. And the best way to boot from DOS is with a USB stick. Download a USB format utility to make the thumb drive usable then copy the BIOS utility & BIOS image file to the stick. Now boot from it. You may need to edit the device boot order in BIOS before your laptop will accept the thumb drive as a boot device.

How-To's (Tutorials)

In Windows
    Try this one first ---> Boot DOS from USB (Link)

How to flash BIOS by USB Memory Stick Drive ? (Link)

BIOS Update using USB Stick. (Link)

In Linux
    Updating the BIOS from an USB flash drive (Link)

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Just made a big mess. I was trying to install ATI drivers and linux ubuntu didn't boot anymore. I attempted to install Ubuntu again in parallel to the previous installation so I can have access to my post-processing job but I wasn't successful.
    I can even install again linux erasing the previous partions!
    I am going to take the laptop to the university where they have experts and software to help me install Windows 7 64 bits Professional. I am amazed by the fact that installing the ATI drivers on linux stalls the computer, Windows is much much easier to work with.

Carlos

Platinum Member

Strong machine, you should be putting down some serious credits in no time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast