Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

Past Administrator

Re: Intel® Core™ i7-3630QM

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    Just made a big mess. I was trying to install ATI drivers and linux ubuntu didn't boot anymore. I attempted to install Ubuntu again in parallel to the previous installation so I can have access to my post-processing job but I wasn't successful.
    I can even install again linux erasing the previous partions!
    I am going to take the laptop to the university where they have experts and software to help me install Windows 7 64 bits Professional. I am amazed by the fact that installing the ATI drivers on linux stalls the computer, Windows is much much easier to work with.

Carlos
    That issue is the fault of ATI/AMD not Linux. ATI has never really made it easy for Linux users and many times the drivers have been buggy.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    That issue is the fault of ATI/AMD not Linux. ATI has never really made it easy for Linux users and many times the drivers have been buggy.
    I would disagree with that "buggy" statement Fire$torm. If you're not at least somewhat used to Linux, from my experience, you can easily totally destroy your system if you simply try to install them in the wrong way. Their Installer is so poor at error checking it's downright dangerous! Criminal even.

Gold Member

I was so pissed off that I didn't realize the English mistakes I made on my previous post. That happens when I get nervous. Sorry for that.
    I am pleased to know that it wasn't my entire fault. Anyway, only next Monday or Tuesday I will have my laptop again so can re-start my NFS@Home job on Winodws environment where I am more comfortable. With this issue I just lost 7 days of crunching.

Carlos

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    I would disagree with that "buggy" statement Fire$torm. If you're not at least somewhat used to Linux, from my experience, you can easily totally destroy your system if you simply try to install them in the wrong way. Their Installer is so poor at error checking it's downright dangerous! Criminal even.
    Sorry Mumps, that is what I was referring to. The installer is buggy, I just wasn't very clear on that point. oooops.......

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    I was so pissed off that I didn't realize the English mistakes I made on my previous post. That happens when I get nervous. Sorry for that.
    I am pleased to know that it wasn't my entire fault. Anyway, only next Monday or Tuesday I will have my laptop again so can re-start my NFS@Home job on Winodws environment where I am more comfortable. With this issue I just lost 7 days of crunching.

Carlos
    Well at least you'll have a useable system. It is a shame you lost so many days of crunching.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 04-13-13 at 06:24 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

I am not quite sure why you did not just use the vesa driver. I have been running one of my boxes for a week now fine after messing up the video drivers install. So in a few days after I purge all the NFS WU's I have from the challenge, then I will just go and reinstall the Linux OS.
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by kmanley57 View Post
    I am not quite sure why you did not just use the vesa driver. I have been running one of my boxes for a week now fine after messing up the video drivers install. So in a few days after I purge all the NFS WU's I have from the challenge, then I will just go and reinstall the Linux OS.
    I was using the generic drivers since January but I wanted to install the AMD/ATI drivers so make use of the GPU for calculations. I messed up. Tomorrow I expect to have back my laptop. Until then I have to watch the others battle with Sic at NFS@Home.

Carlos

Gold Member

I'm back with my laptop but now under windows 7 SP1 64 bits. I want to put my GPU to work, already tested a few programs but not yet Boinc.
    I have a few questions about my GPU ATI based because I never had an ATI before, always Nvidia cards without CUDA capable.
    The GPU is

http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/13/04/18/4sp.png

I see at university that they installed old drivers. Under Nvidia card I would download the drivers and install above the current ones. Can I do this on an ATI card or do I need first uninstall the drivers?
    My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L850-1HZ with

Serial number: YC131163R
    PartNu. PSICG8E-02HOOLEP

IYC131163RSSKG802HOOLEP8

I'm afraid of updating the drivers...
    Also which BOINC project can take advantage of my GPU without using much processing power because I want to run post-processing tasks for NFS@Home. Also can I run NFS@Home Boinc under VM+Ubuntu using all processors and under windows only use the GPU for calculations? So many questions...maybe someone can re-direct me to posts or threads to calmly read...

Thank you.

Please help.

Carlos

Past Administrator

Hi Carlos, great to see a new rig on!

First of all, I would run it on Collatz. It will not take any of your CPU (so you have full power for NFS) and will run cool enough that it won't over heat the laptop.

You could install the driver over the old ones, but I wouldn't. I would take the extra 3 minutes to go into the control panel and uninstall the Catalyst drivers, and then reboot. Once the machine is rebooted, just install the new ones and you're good to go! Really simple, not like Linux where it blew out your O/S! . This will be a walk in the park for you.

Oh and yes, you can do what you're asking for the crunching. Just attach to NFS in your Ubuntu VM, and give it 100% processor use. Then in Windows, ONLY attach to Collatz, and in your preferences at Collatz, uncheck The CPU, and ONLY check GPU. Then it will do exactly what you are wanting it to. CPU in Linux and GPU in Windows.
    Last edited by DrPop; 04-21-13 at 05:52 PM.

Gold Member

DrPop,

Thank you. I managed to start running a DistrRTgen wu, without finishing it, in parallel with the post-processing job I had to re-start for NFS@Home. I felt the desktop a little slow. Also I compared the wu, which would take me like 3 hours, to the fastest ATI card available and I am very disappointed about my GPU. Anyway, at least with you help I managed to run a GPU wu and therefore I appreciate very much the help given.

I tested so far several GPU applications as the distributed.net, primegrid, DistrRTgen, Trial Division with OpenCL (mfakto), etc..., and I still didn't feel where my GPU is better applied.

Carlos
    Last edited by pinhodecarlos; 04-22-13 at 09:25 AM.

Past Administrator

Yes, unfortunately the GPU built-in to many laptops is just not powerful enough like the desktop GPUs to give you much crunching satisfaction.

You should definitely try running Collatz on there, because it won't slow down your screen, and it also won't steal CPU resources away from your NFS duties. Many of the other GPU projects will at least take a part of your CPU to run. So please try Collatz next, and let me know how that one does.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast