Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

invisy

Re: Projects won't Initialize ?

I had problems yesterday also but its chomping now

Friend of SETI.USA

I'm still having the problem of getting Projects to Initialize when I do a reinstall of Windows & BOINC. I've had 1 Box down since yesterday because of this problem. I wiped out Linux & installed Windows & BOINC but haven't been able to get the Projects to Initialize so I can run BOINC. For now the Box can stay down, I'd rather leave it down than install Linux again and waste the electricity with all the faults it gives me.

I have fresh installs on several other Box's & if I can't get the Projects to Initialize on them they'll stay down too. I'm sick of messing with them & nobody's seems to know why the Projects won't Initialize so eventually if I have to reinstall Windows I'll slowly run out of Box's to run ...

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I'm still having the problem of getting Projects to Initialize when I do a reinstall of Windows & BOINC. I've had 1 Box down since yesterday because of this problem. I wiped out Linux & installed Windows & BOINC but haven't been able to get the Projects to Initialize so I can run BOINC. For now the Box can stay down, I'd rather leave it down than install Linux again and waste the electricity with all the faults it gives me.

I have fresh installs on several other Box's & if I can't get the Projects to Initialize on them they'll stay down too. I'm sick of messing with them & nobody's seems to know why the Projects won't Initialize so eventually if I have to reinstall Windows I'll slowly run out of Box's to run ...
    Questions again....

Fresh install of Win7 from what kind of media? ex: ISO Image, Retail DVD, etc...

Is Win7 fully updated after install?

Are all system drivers up to date? ex: Intel chipset drivers, NIC drivers, etc...

BOINC version? And are you doing a fresh install of BOINC or are doing a copy/paste of the BOINC folders from another machine?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

What does the Event Log in BOINC say when you try to get the projects started? I'm sure you know more about boxes than me, but you never know when a stupid sugestion just might work.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Friend of SETI.USA

I may have stumbled on the Problem by sheer Blind Luck Guy'z. I was using System Restore to get rid of previous BOINC installs & by accident I let BOINC Install in it's Default Location. Usually I direct BOINC to install on another Partition other than the Windows Partition but by doing repeated Restores I forgot to do that this 1 time & BOOM BOINC was Initializing the Projects.

I didn't realize what had happened for a few minutes until I went to create a Shortcut on the Desktop & I didn't see anything in the usual BOINC Directories. So I had to go hunting for the the files & found them in the Windows Program Directories. I moved all the files to another Partition & rebooted & BOINC still worked & Initialized other Projects. So maybe It's something about the v7.x.xx BOINC Client that on new installs of Windows it needs to be installed in it's Default Location & then can be moved to where you want it.

I'll find out if that works by the end of the weekend as I have another Box that's running Linux but has a fresh Install of Windows on another Drive, plus I have to do 2 other Linux Box's back to Windows that will need to be installed first so hopefully that will work for them too, I'll report back on it one way or the other but It'll be a few days like this weekend maybe before I get around to them. I don't Golf on the Weekends so I'll have time to work on them then ...

Platinum Member

Glad you were able to fix things. It's nice to have the boxes wereing away instead of you getting ready to take a hammer to them.

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Gopher_FreeDC

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    I may have stumbled on the Problem by sheer Blind Luck Guy'z. I was using System Restore to get rid of previous BOINC installs & by accident I let BOINC Install in it's Default Location. Usually I direct BOINC to install on another Partition other than the Windows Partition but by doing repeated Restores I forgot to do that this 1 time & BOOM BOINC was Initializing the Projects.
    System restore will do that...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234