Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: declining volunteer population

Friend of SETI.USA

Re: declining volunteer population

Yes the Cost is a big reason many drop out or reduce their output like me. I just couldn't take the $1400-$1500 a month Bills anymore, I'm still around $800-$1000 even with reducing my GPU usage & probably will have to back off even more except for maybe a Challenge or reach a smaller MM ... If the Cost of Electricity keeps going up all that's going to be left is the people that don't have to pay for it themselves ... IMO

Diamond Member

I strongly believe all that you are saying is also true.

I had a big man in my life and that was my grand-father.

He told me one day, believe in all the common sense of others human beings but keep a side of your brain open to other realities, keep your mind ready to listen to all human beings because one thing that capture a human brain maybe true or at least have a part of it.

I will keep listening for that old voice, no matter how crazy that can be...

Science discovered, not long ago that magnetic fields can change human moods and perceptions, stars are powerful magnetic fields.

And the universe is much more than the earth and the stars, the universe is free will...
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Gold Member

I wonder how long it's going to take Sic. to get bored blowing everyone else out of the water. At some point you have to wonder, why am I throwing thousands of dollars towards people who are hacking encryption when nobody else is even coming close to challenging me?

The key is to find balance. If you pay a few extra dollars (insert your own currency here) you can get more efficient hardware that will save you a lot of money in the long run. My electric bill has been dropping ever since that 'Phenom II X6 1055T's motherboard toasted.

By the way, that chip and anything else that I'm not using from that board are available to anyone that wants it. I decided not to pursue it because of the electricity it consumes, the heat it produces and the cost of a quality motherboard to support it. It was far cheaper for me to buy the combo from Ste\/e including his outdated Q6600.
    6r39 7r199

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by trigggl View Post
    It was far cheaper for me to buy the combo from Ste\/e including his outdated Q6600.
    Still have 1 combo left ...

Platinum Member

I wonder how long it's going to take Sic. to get bored blowing everyone else out of the water. At some point you have to wonder, why am I throwing thousands of dollars towards people who are hacking encryption when nobody else is even coming close to challenging me?

The key is to find balance. If you pay a few extra dollars (insert your own currency here) you can get more efficient hardware that will save you a lot of money in the long run. My electric bill has been dropping ever since that 'Phenom II X6 1055T's motherboard toasted.

By the way, that chip and anything else that I'm not using from that board are available to anyone that wants it. I decided not to pursue it because of the electricity it consumes, the heat it produces and the cost of a quality motherboard to support it. It was far cheaper for me to buy the combo from Ste\/e including his outdated Q6600.
    If my health gets better, I'm in the process of building 2 x6's. If you have spare components, I might be able to use them.

On another note. when I started out, I never even imagined comming close to the numbes other's were putting out. I grew my farm and was able to put up at least decent numbers. I don't really look at my numbers too closely now. Some of the shine has come off the diamond. I do however enjoy a good stomp from time to time. I have always thought that if we could have an ambasador for each project that could kind of take the place of an admin there, we would be able to 1, answer peoples questions so they aren't waiting a month for a reply. 2, show the community that our team cares about them. 3, look good in the eyes of the community and therefore be able to recruit much more easily. If people feel that someone is working with them, they are much more likely to stay with a project or the whole boinc thing and not get disillusioned. $.02

Joined Original Message Board: Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:47 pm, Currently with 11298 Posts

If it ain't crunch'n, unplug it!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    ...On another note...I have always thought that if we could have an ambassador for each project that could kind of take the place of an admin there, we would be able to 1, answer peoples questions so they aren't waiting a month for a reply. 2, show the community that our team cares about them. 3, look good in the eyes of the community and...
    Some very good points. If I could find a project I really care about, and then find the time to do that in the future, I think I would like to be one of those ambassadors. If we could get just one person for each of the bigger projects, that really might be something! Great idea.

Friend of SETI.USA

I wonder how long it's going to take Sic. to get bored blowing everyone else out of the water
    Obviously not any time soon, they've been putting out 140 Million+ Per Day for awhile now. Moon must have raided a few more Teams to get more Big GPU Hitters to come over to the SICI Team. Whatever, I don't even think of them anymore, if there was a chance of competing with them then I'd be interested in what their doing. But the way they've pulled away from everybody else their outta sight & outta mind ... Of course Moon will still moan about how small a Team they are & everybody's picking on them if we Gang up on them again ...
    Last edited by STE\/E; 02-22-13 at 10:35 AM.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Obviously not any time soon, they've been putting out 140 Million+ Per Day for awhile now. Moon must have raided a few more Teams to get more Big GPU Hitters to come over to the SICI Team. Whatever, I don't even think of them anymore, if there was a chance of competing with them then I'd be interested in what their doing. But the way they've pulled away from everybody else their outta sight & outta mind ... Of course Moon will still moan about how small a Team they are & everybody's picking on them if we Gang up on them again ...
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    If my health gets better, I'm in the process of building 2 x6's. If you have spare components, I might be able to use them.

On another note. when I started out, I never even imagined comming close to the numbes other's were putting out. I grew my farm and was able to put up at least decent numbers. I don't really look at my numbers too closely now. Some of the shine has come off the diamond. I do however enjoy a good stomp from time to time. I have always thought that if we could have an ambasador for each project that could kind of take the place of an admin there, we would be able to 1, answer peoples questions so they aren't waiting a month for a reply. 2, show the community that our team cares about them. 3, look good in the eyes of the community and therefore be able to recruit much more easily. If people feel that someone is working with them, they are much more likely to stay with a project or the whole boinc thing and not get disillusioned. $.02
    I think this hits the nail on the head. Most project admins have no idea about the give and take between getting their computation accomplished and providing the volunteers with updates and a sense of accomplishment that keeps everyone wanting to crunch. Without this positive feedback and status updating, it is easy to fall to just focusing on the game theory components of BOINC (credits, challenges, etc) and miss the point about the science being accomplished. That could be a dangerous road since that is not the primary focus here and new members may not realize how much they are truly accomplishing for humanity. That being said, I love the game theory components of BOINC and think it is one of the primary reasons it is so successful and has amazing potential. These questions were the focus of my question in the thread "What factors do you consider when allocating your resources?" LINK.

This dilemma is what put me on the search for a way to contribute in more ways than just with raw CPU/GPU power. I found out NumberFields@Home is run out of the university I work at and went ahead and contacted the admins. We met for coffee and discussed the project, BOINC and distributed computing in general. It was obvious we came from very different perspectives. Their expertise was in the field of programming/mathematics/server systems and I was more in-tune to the DC/Cruncher community. This is a match made in heaven as far as I am concerned. There really needs to be someone with every project who is the bridge between the public and the scientific community. I work on promoting the project, retaining members, gaining new members and focus on the image of the project. Without someone managing this it is easy for volunteers to loose faith in the project. After having this inside knowledge of the project I truly see potential and know the work will be useful and used in a meaningful way. My job then becomes convincing the volunteers that their CPU time does not go to waste. Hopefully most projects will adopt this model and help keep their volunteers engaged- it really is a two-way street.

Past Administrator

@litehouse43: Good points to be sure. Good of you to make such an effort.

I guess my peeve with many projects is how is it they can be so unaware of the volunteer community? In this modern world with all of the corporate PR that goes on, common sense dictates that in order to have true success one needs to engage with the source of ones profits. I.E. the customer. BOINC volunteers are the repository that fuels all BOINC projects. Can they really be that ignorant of the fact that all the potential computing power available in the volunteer pool requires no input on their part? This seemingly blind attitude It bugs me to no end. Forgive the comparison but its like they have this Master/Slave mentality, they are the masters and the volunteers are the slaves. "Good Tobi, back to the field and make your quota". I'm sorry but I be NOT a Lemming.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast