Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu instruction

Friend of SETI.USA

Re: Ubuntu instruction

I'll make Note of that Mumps .. Thanks

Friend of SETI.USA

Help on the Linux VirtualBox, I installed the Virtualbox from the Software Package that comes with Ubuntu 12.10. The Test4Theory Wu's error out in a few seconds after starting. Is there something else I need to do to get the Test4Theory Wu's to run right ??? ... Thanks

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Help on the Linux VirtualBox, I installed the Virtualbox from the Software Package that comes with Ubuntu 12.10. The Test4Theory Wu's error out in a few seconds after starting. Is there something else I need to do to get the Test4Theory Wu's to run right ??? ... Thanks
    Pretty certain the VirtualBox in the Ubuntu Repo is so old T4T won't run with it. (With my 12.04 Ubuntu it suggests 4.1.12 from the Repository, but T4T works best with 4.2.8 or maybe newer.) I normally go directly to the http://virtualbox.org site and download the relatively current distro right from there. Then you can use package manager to install it. Just right click on the downloaded file and select to open it with Ubuntu Software Center and you should get an option to install it.

Friend of SETI.USA

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Pretty certain the VirtualBox in the Ubuntu Repo is so old T4T won't run with it. (With my 12.04 Ubuntu it suggests 4.1.12 from the Repository, but T4T works best with 4.2.8 or maybe newer.) I normally go directly to the http://virtualbox.org site and download the relatively current distro right from there. Then you can use package manager to install it. Just right click on the downloaded file and select to open it with Ubuntu Software Center and you should get an option to install it.
    Thanks, Okay I did the Download & Install thing but now I'm getting "Scheduler wait: Communication with VM Hypervisor failed" when the Test4Theory tried to start ... Maybe it needs all 8 Threads, on my Windows Box's the Wu will run on 1 Thread while other Wu's run on the other threads ...

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by STE\/E View Post
    Thanks, Okay I did the Download & Install thing but now I'm getting "Scheduler wait: Communication with VM Hypervisor failed" when the Test4Theory tried to start ... Maybe it needs all 8 Threads, on my Windows Box's the Wu will run on 1 Thread while other Wu's run on the other threads ...
    It sounds like you picked the MT version, so it is waiting to run, until all threads are available.

There is a setting you can make at your project preference page. It will allow MT vs. normal single task. The problem, is that it is not obvious which allows MT. I *think* it is the "Run test applications?" check box. Turn that off, and I think your task (inside the VM) will use only one thread.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Friend of SETI.USA

I shut the other Projects off but the Wu still wouldn't start, so I disabled Test Wu's @ the Project & the Client is making a big download now, will have to wait for it to download & see if the new Wu starts ... The download may take an hour or so on the wireless box ...

Friend of SETI.USA

I think it still downloaded a MT Wu & it erred in about 25 seconds, so I deselected the CernVM & left Test Wu selected & another Wu downloaded. It was a BETA VBoxWrapper Wu, same thing the Windows Box's run on 1 Thread but it won't start even if I suspend all other work ... I think it's wanting some sort of Kernel installed, it's over my head so I'll stick with running the T4T on Windows I guess ... Thanks anyway

Friend of SETI.USA

I get this message after installing the Oracle VBox: These Programs run from a Terminal: VBox is one of them ,,, do I need to start the VBox from the Terminal 1'st ? before trying to run the T4T Wu's in Linux ... Tried the Oracle VBox on 12.10 & 12.04 but get the errors as soon as the T4T Wu starts ... Windows works fine though by just installing the VBox ...

Diamond Member

I have only run vbox on win and mac machines. No need to pre-start vbox on those.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

This is from LHC@Home

http://lhcathome.web.cern.ch/LHCathome/Physics/
    Quote Originally Posted by LHC@Home - Installing VirtualBox
    ...After installing Virtual Box you do not need to launch or run the VirtualBox application or create a virtual machine yourself. T4T will manage that on its own.

Next step: You must now set up BOINC...
    http://lhcathome.web.cern.ch/LHCathome/Physics/
    Quote Originally Posted by LHC@Home - Installing BOINC in GNU/Linux
    Under Linux, BOINC has to be installed in a special way. In order to run Virtual Machines with VirtualBox in your computer, the user needs special privileges. However, the standard Linux distribution package manager installation for BOINC runs under an unprivileged user, so it will not work with this project. If you have such an existing BOINC client installed, you will have to reinstall it.

First go to the BOINC download link on the official BOINC site and download the installer, which has a name of the form "boinc_VERSION_.sh". This is an auto self-extracting file, that has to be installed as follows:

1. The boinc_VERSION_.sh file needs to be run, so you first need to give it execution permissions (by default it is a non-executable file).

3. Then you will be able to double-click it, or run it from a command line as (./boinc_VERSION_.sh)

3. After running this application you will see a new BOINC folder, where you can run the client by double-clicking in the boincmgr command.

4. Attach your computer to the project!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast