Thread: linux question: 32 bit files?

Diamond Member

linux question: 32 bit files?

Many times in the past, I have read on various project forums that people with 64 bit linux *also* has to install the 32 bit stuff in order to get some projects to run successfully. I just installed 64 bit opsnsuse on several VMs, and I want to make sure I don't run into that problem.

Can someone please tell me what those 32 bit file are, that I need to install? Also, I think I remember someone saying that some linux distros include the 32 bit files in the default 64 bit installation. Does anyone know if that is true for opensuse?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Advisor - Stateside Division

Re: linux question: 32 bit files?

They are the compatibility libraries for c,glibc etc.

No idea if they are installed as standard in openSUSE though.

Try this

rpm -qa |grep compat-glibc

and see what it comes back with.

Diamond Member

I get no results for that.

Edit: But in the software manager tool, it does show glibc and glibc-32bit as being installed already. Does that cover it? Or are there more?
    Last edited by zombie67; 12-23-10 at 09:42 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    I get no results for that.

Edit: But in the software manager tool, it does show glibc and glibc-32bit as being installed already. Does that cover it? Or are there more?

That is probably a good start, but also some projects have specific libs that are not often easy to know if you have or don't or what package you need to install to get them. When I am moving to a new project and using linux I typically give it a try and then trouble shoot after the fact (after looking for info on the application from the project site). One tool that is useful is ldd -v you run this from the command line against the executable and it will let you know if there are missing shared library dependencies. Then you have to hunt down how to get them installed.

The great thing about the VMs is that you can create a template/master VM and then clone it once you have things setup the way you like. There are some tricky things about doing that if you install boinc before cloning. I have a master 64bit template that I can just deploy and on first boot up it has boinc and is ready for inclusion in BAM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Many times in the past, I have read on various project forums that people with 64 bit linux *also* has to install the 32 bit stuff in order to get some projects to run successfully. I just installed 64 bit opsnsuse on several VMs, and I want to make sure I don't run into that problem.

Can someone please tell me what those 32 bit file are, that I need to install? Also, I think I remember someone saying that some linux distros include the 32 bit files in the default 64 bit installation. Does anyone know if that is true for opensuse?
    Since I have all the necessary files installed, but don't remember what I did to install them, I did a search for Gentoo figuring that from that I could determine how to get it done on a different distro. One of the pages I found suggested that OpenSUSE came "out of the box" with 32-bit support. I think the first step is selecting the option in your kernel before compiling it, but since you most likely don't compile your own for SUSE, it's probably already in the kernel.
    6r39 7r199