Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "No Usable GPUs" Issue

Gold Member

Re: "No Usable GPUs" Issue

AMD only supported OpenCL 1.0 for HD 38xx and 48xx GUs and has since dropped even the 1.0 support. So, you will definately need the older drivers and that probably means the older SDK if the OpenCL.dll isn't included in the drivers.
    Now, AMD supports HD 5xxx or newer GPUs.

Good luck on the OpenCL since DA implemented OpenCL 1.1 as the default plan class in BOINC. So, unless the project admin changed it, even if they don't use OpenCL 1.1 enhancements, it still won't send your GPU any work even if you do get BOINC to recognize it. Also, since the 4600 is only single precision, your choices of projects are limited even more. Donate and Collatz should work. Not sure if any others will.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crazybob View Post
    If there is a VISTA driver available, that should work with WIN 7. (My guess is that you have already tried that. )
    I had Vista 32 running on this machine and it found and installed drivers for my PCI Wireless card during OS installation. For some reason, Vista was quite unstable - which is why I installed XP64. I was able to use vendor drivers for XP64; they haven't released any for Win 7 64.

Since installing Win 7 64, I've tried lots of drivers, including the Vista drivers... to no avail. To solve the issue, I ordered a $10 usb wifi adapter. My original intent was to build a system completely out of parts I had laying around, so I'd say I got pretty close.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    AMD only supported OpenCL 1.0 for HD 38xx and 48xx GUs and has since dropped even the 1.0 support. So, you will definately need the older drivers and that probably means the older SDK if the OpenCL.dll isn't included in the drivers.
    Now, AMD supports HD 5xxx or newer GPUs.

Good luck on the OpenCL since DA implemented OpenCL 1.1 as the default plan class in BOINC. So, unless the project admin changed it, even if they don't use OpenCL 1.1 enhancements, it still won't send your GPU any work even if you do get BOINC to recognize it. Also, since the 4600 is only single precision, your choices of projects are limited even more. Donate and Collatz should work. Not sure if any others will.
    I run Moo on the HD 4650 in Win 7 64, and it puts up about 25k points per day. I also have a 4350 running Moo, generating about 5000/day on a Win 7 32 machine at work. I'd rather run a different project; to me Moo is doing math just to do math. I'll check out Donate, and see if it will run on a 4xxx series card.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12