Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD 7990 Malta

Platinum Member

AMD 7990 Malta

Not that it's a huge deal, but AMD is releasing their own true HD 7990 soon. Could be the end of this month at the soonest, but before july for sure.

Their partners have full permission to change anything they like, so you may even expect a liquid cooled version someday.

The bad news for Asus is this GPU is expected to be at least very close to as fast as the Ares II, and definitely faster than any other "7990" for sale today. The GPU uses 2 of the Tahiti XT2 GPU chips, which are the ones found on the 7970 GHz Edition. Final clocks haven't been released, but all the other specs are basically the same as every other 7990.

Edit: Oh yeah, they're releasing a 7790 soon too. Expected to be ~10% slower than a 7850.

Past Administrator

Re: AMD 7990 Malta

Hope this new one works better than the one they sold Zombie!

Platinum Member

Yay now we can see what it looks like. It's a little bit sexy, i must admit...

http://www.legitreviews.com/news/15323/

Past Administrator

Nice little game of dirty pool AMD played on its partners. Having them test market viability for a 7990 and then upping the ante. I bet Asus & PowerColor are fuming.....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Nice little game of dirty pool AMD played on its partners. Having them test market viability for a 7990 and then upping the ante. I bet Asus & PowerColor are fuming.....
    Possibly. Or, the other way to look at it, is AMD did not have the resources to do this out the gate, so they quite literally said to their partners, "Here's the chips and see if you can make something work. If you can, sell it." -- so who knows how much ASUS, etc made off having the first "7990" back when it was big news . . . there is something to be said for that first unit of anything available to market. Heck, they might have even made an extra $50 to $100 profit off each card, which is huge. For all we know, the partners might have pressured them into "allowing" them to create a 7990 before they were ready for the real deal.

I agree with you - I think they did it wrong, and yeah, you could be right about the beta testing, which would be dirty play - but there could be more sides to the story...

Platinum Member

The 'real' Radeon HD 7990 might be pushed back until Oct. 29th AMD is wanting to bundle the 7990 with Battlefield 4 which scheduled to be released then. Booooooooo

I hope AMD decides not to wait that long and/or BF4 is released much sooner. By the time late October is here, the 8990 would be right around the corner. I do intend to get one.

Diamond Member
    Procrastination pays off again! ...oh wait, not for me. Dang.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Diamond Member

Eng samples? I know what those are used for...PASS!
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Holy s@!t have you seen the price this thing has been bid up to? I'm in the wrong business...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast