Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AMD 7990 Malta

Past Administrator

Re: AMD 7990 Malta

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    And now "Out of stock"

Man, I sure wish I had that kind of disposable income....

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Decided to take a chance on this XFX 7990 malta: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150694

The XFX cooler worries me a bit, but since I have only one usable gpu slot open and there is room for the 3 slot design, I thought I would risk it. The sabertooth isn't 3 GPU card friendly (had to hang a third card it in once). Price is good compared to any used 7990 I can see. If the cooler doesn't work out, might be able to get a reference or third party one and still come out cheaper.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Decided to take a chance on this XFX 7990 malta: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150694

The XFX cooler worries me a bit, but since I have only one usable gpu slot open and there is room for the 3 slot design, I thought I would risk it. The sabertooth isn't 3 GPU card friendly (had to hang a third card it in once). Price is good compared to any used 7990 I can see. If the cooler doesn't work out, might be able to get a reference or third party one and still come out cheaper.
    Sold out already. I did grab one, just hope it was a good choice. The price seemed right.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by EmSti View Post
    Sold out already. I did grab one, just hope it was a good choice. The price seemed right.
    Interesting not only are they sold out, Newegg has increased the price from $649.99 to $719.99. Must have been an EmSti only sale. I had only searched for 7990 on their site to see if they had any refurbished 7990s. More likely, they just realized they forgot to price gouge on this GPU, lately it seems like they are charging more than anyone else. Could it be they jack the price on anything that sells out fast these days?

Platinum Member

I've noticed they do that too. Used to be they'd only jack up the price $20 or so on a "just released" item like a new GPU or CPU. But lately i've noticed them jacking the price up as much as $50, and additional items, like PSUs and RAM and also on anything they have in limited quantities that's popular, even if it's been out a year. I haven't bought much from Newegg lately - been shopping mainly on Amazon, but as of Jan 1st they started charging sales tax in TN (it's 9.75% here!) so that's over with. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed TigerDirect has what i need since so few of Micro Center's good deals are available online.

Silver Member

Best Price in Europe is 520,- Euro , two 7970 cost the same and I think they would make less problems with overheating.

Gold Member

The price I paid was less than current prices 2 7970s or 2 r9 280x (unusual for 7990). I can't get 2 more 7970 class gpus comfortably in the box. Given those 2 (price and space), this was my best option. Even it I need to run it at stock speeds, I will get more out of the PC than just adding a single GPU while balancing single and double precision crunching capability. Of course, I am assuming the XFX gpu works properly.

I do wish I could have found a review of the xfx Triple D 7990 with non-reference cooler before I purchased, but the way GPU sales are going these days, I didn't have long to look. I still haven't found a knowledgeable review yet.

Silver Member

XFX is my most stable 7970 so far though its a little bit loud.
    About 2 years 24/7 without any troubles.

Administrator

I had a couple of 5970s and they were junk ... the back GPU on each card had problems with heat. They didn't put the back VRMs under the heat sink!

I also had 2 6990 cards and those were jewels ... they totally solved the heat problem on that card and they worked without a problem. Actually I should say, they worked well but I did have to run the fans almost full bore which made them noisy.

All of the above were XFX. I would think that the 5970 fiasco taught them enough about providing cooling for dual GPUs so I expect it will be a great addition!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    ...but as of Jan 1st they started charging sales tax in TN (it's 9.75% here!)
    Don't relocate to Chicago then. The sales tax is 11.5% there. They also have percentage based gas and cigarette taxes (the latter now up over $13 a pack) so people actually take day trips to DuPage county just to buy smokes and fill up their tanks. Almost makes that $720 GPU seem reasonably priced!
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast