Thread: AMD GPU drivers?

Diamond Member

AMD GPU drivers?

I've confused myself again.

I recall that there is a problem with BOINC, and the 13.x drivers. Something about it dropping support for CAL? What was the last version that supports CAL again? 12.10? Also, does it even make a difference with 7970s? I think they never supported CAL to begin with? Or maybe I am confusing different issues?

I know we talked about this very recently, about the CAL vs. OpsnCL support with AMD. So I am sorry if this is a repeat. But I can't get search to find any of it.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Gold Member

Re: AMD GPU drivers?

From Slicker [TopGun] at Collatz forum.

Comparing OpenCL to Brook+/CAL is like comparing a school bus to a Porsche. OpenCL is designed to run on many platforms. It gives up performance because of it. Brook+/CAL was designed specifically for AMD hardware. Unfortunately, because of the decision to go with OpenCL, AMD has changed the hardware such that it won't run the Brook+/CAL apps without giving invalid results. WCG and others ONLY use OpenCL so you don't see how slow they are because you don't have a Brook+/CAL app to which you can compare the speed.
    Also I found that I can't upgrade the ATI drivers on my laptop but instead use the Toshiba ones so I am stick to old drivers.

Carlos
    Last edited by pinhodecarlos; 05-04-13 at 01:15 PM.

Past Administrator

According to AMD Catalyst™ Software Suite Version 12.4 Release Notes (Here), 12.4 was the last version to support 79xx and 48xx cards. I believe support of 48xx = CAL support.

Edit: I think you are correct. 7xxx is post CAL.
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 05-04-13 at 01:36 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Found some forum links

Slicker (The Move to OpenCL Apps - 12.22.2011): http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...enCL#post29847

Slicker (Re: Other Challanges for April - 03.29.2012): http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...enCL#post37028

Slicker (Re: Minimum BOINC Version for ATI Crunching - 04.02.2012): http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...enCL#post37341

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Diamond Member

Thanks for all the responses. It looks like 12.4 is the last one that supports CAL/Brook+. Do I have that right?

But I am still not clear on the other question. Will 7970 crunch CAL/Brook+ apps at all, regardless of the driver version? I am thinking the answer is NO, based on some of the links to Slicker posts. Also, based on the fact that 7970s still don't work on Moo. But I can't tell for sure.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. It looks like 12.4 is the last one that supports CAL/Brook+. Do I have that right?

But I am still not clear on the other question. Will 7970 crunch CAL/Brook+ apps at all, regardless of the driver version? I am thinking the answer is NO, based on some of the links to Slicker posts. Also, based on the fact that 7970s still don't work on Moo. But I can't tell for sure.
    Yeah, sorry about that last bit. Guess we need Slicker to weigh in... Slicker???

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6