Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upcoming Intel Haswell performance

Platinum Member

Re: Upcoming Intel Haswell performance

Some info on HD graphics:

EU = Execution Units (similar to a GPU core)

HD 2000: EU=6, OpenCL = No
    HD 2500: EU=6, OpenCL = 1.1
    HD 3000: EU=12, OpenCL = No
    HD 4000: EU=16, OpenCL = 1.1
    HD 4200: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 4400: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 4600: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5000: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5100: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5200: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2, includes dedicated VRAM

Yes i'm aware Intel recently released an update which brings all HD graphics that previously supported OpenCL 1.1 up to version 1.2. I left them at 1.1 though so we could see which they were The ones marked 'No' are still 'No'.

Also note my last post in this thread about HD 5200 graphics being BGA only on some powerful CPUs. Note the difference in specs between HD 4600 and HD 5200. Alot is being missed out on.

Platinum Member

Oooh looky someone snagged a pic of the HD 5200 and posted it online just 2.5 hours ago. Speak of the devil (kinda).
    P1080612_678x452.jpg

On the left of the image you have the Lynx Point chipset. In the center you have the CPU. Immediately to the right of the CPU, that smaller chip is the dedicated VRAM. Amount/speed/type is unknown. Also notice the whole thing is soldered directly to the motherboard.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Oooh looky someone snagged a pic of the HD 5200 and posted it online just 2.5 hours ago. Speak of the devil (kinda).
    P1080612_678x452.jpg

On the left of the image you have the Lynx Point chipset. In the center you have the CPU. Immediately to the right of the CPU, that smaller chip is the dedicated VRAM. Amount/speed/type is unknown. Also notice the whole thing is soldered directly to the motherboard.
    That picture looks funky to me. See the orientation arrow in the corner? What is that needed for? Also, it looks like a daughter card. You don't put a BGA on a daughter card, and then socket onto a mobo. Something very odd here.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Some info on HD graphics:

EU = Execution Units (similar to a GPU core)

HD 2000: EU=6, OpenCL = No
    HD 2500: EU=6, OpenCL = 1.1
    HD 3000: EU=12, OpenCL = No
    HD 4000: EU=16, OpenCL = 1.1
    HD 4200: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 4400: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 4600: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5000: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5100: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5200: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2, includes dedicated VRAM

Yes i'm aware Intel recently released an update which brings all HD graphics that previously supported OpenCL 1.1 up to version 1.2. I left them at 1.1 though so we could see which they were The ones marked 'No' are still 'No'.

Also note my last post in this thread about HD 5200 graphics being BGA only on some powerful CPUs. Note the difference in specs between HD 4600 and HD 5200. Alot is being missed out on.
    This is a really good list! It makes it clear that the SB graphics (or earlier) will not crunch.

But I am confused about the new GPUs. 4200/4400/4600 all look the same, and the same with the 5000/5100/5200 (aside from the vram).

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    This is a really good list! It makes it clear that the SB graphics (or earlier) will not crunch.

But I am confused about the new GPUs. 4200/4400/4600 all look the same, and the same with the 5000/5100/5200 (aside from the vram).
    Just a guess but maybe higher # = higher clock...?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Just a guess but maybe higher # = higher clock...?
    That was my thought. The series denotes the hardware, i.e. number of cores, and the secondary numbers would show slight increase in speed.

What I don't get is why they are going BGA only with the high end stuff. That makes little sense...I can see them doing it for laptops or small custom stuff but to do it only for those options seems like they are purposely missing out on a whole market segment - which doesn't seem like Intel's usual.

On the other hand, maybe they know something we don't, like the extra Vram and stuff might severely limit the O/C or some such deal...then enthusiasts wouldn't buy it anyway. Just a thought...

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    That picture looks funky to me. See the orientation arrow in the corner? What is that needed for? Also, it looks like a daughter card. You don't put a BGA on a daughter card, and then socket onto a mobo. Something very odd here.
    Not a daughter card, but a substrate. Also known as a Multi-chip module (MCM). Intel has done this before with Pentium CPUs. The arrow in the corner is so whoever installs it does it correctly The old Pentium Pro didn't use an arrow, but it had only 3 screw holes, one in each corner forcing you to install it correctly, otherwise the screw holes wouldn't line up. Here's a pic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:KL...ve_P6T_Top.jpg Also there is no socket. It's just soldered down in it's designated location. Since other companies will be making motherboards for this, Intel makes it simple by mounting both together on the same substrate. The Wii U also uses 2 chips on the same substrate, designed by IBM, except they went a step further and instead of having a CPU and memory, they put a CPU and GPU together http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13...ibmamd-cpu-gpu No allignment arrows here, but the allignment holes in each corner are offset from the edge by different amounts forcing the correct orientation.

Diamond Member

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VR-Zone
    If you get your freak on by an extreme low power state you may need to get a new power supply if you want to use the new C6/C7 low power states of Intel's upcoming Haswell processors. These new power states require a power supply that can maintain a minimum current load of 0.05A on the CPU exclusive 12V2 rail.

The previous ATX12V v2.3 design guidelines called for a minimum load of 0.5A on the CPU power rail, so a lot of older and budget power supplies will likely not meet the new specification, resulting in stability or shutdown issues once the system enters the C6/C7 power state.
    Please note this can occur on the power rail specifically for the CPU. Other components in your system such as drives, GPUs, fans, etc. do not feed off of this rail to raise the minimum draw. To prevent a system shutdown you can simply disable the C6/C7 powerstates in BIOS. No true cruncher would ever allow their CPU to hit a low power state anyway

Past Administrator

...No true cruncher would ever allow their CPU to hit a low power state anyway
    Haha! So true. Which reminds me, they should be a lot more concerned about LOAD power draw and not idle power draw. What's the matter with these office types that only use 5% of their CPU power?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123