Thread: Upcoming Intel Haswell performance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Platinum Member

Re: Upcoming Intel Haswell performance

That article wasn't quite accurate. All it actually does is allow you to watch movies provided to you from a site which uses the Intel Insider service. Essentially the movies are encrypted by these cites so when they're sent out over the internet they can't be intercepted and saved on some hacker's hard drive since it can only be decrypted with the Intel Insider decryption garbage. I can personally vouch that Intel Insider does not block you from watching pirated movie DVDs or Blu-Rays. It also does not prevent you from watching a movie you're streaming that was recorded illegally. I may or may not have watched Thor using the latter method, and if i did *cough* Intel Insider made no attempt to stop me. The only thing Intel Insider does is prevent people from pirating content from companies that do use Intel Insider. Charlie (SemiAccurate) is known to exaggerate things a bit.
    The technology known as Intel Insider does one thing and one thing only. It protects movies delivered from service providers that are specifically using Intel Insider to protect their content. It has to be enabled on the service provider side. Consumers with Intel Insider enabled PCs will have access to content in higher resolution (1080P) and potentially earlier release.

Intel Insider in no way affects any other new or existing media. It does not matter if you buy from iTunes, use home movies, or buy from a CD store, rip from vinyl, or from an 8-track, or bit-torrent. Intel Insider will not touch it.

The only people that will be negatively affected are those who wish to pirate content from services that support Intel Insider.

Intel Insider will not stop you from playing, manipulating or ripping optical media such as a DVD or Blu-ray disk (but those technologies have separate existing safeguards [known as HDCP]). Intel Insider does not affect P2P services.
    As i stated, i may or may not *cough* have tested this, and Intel is telling the truth. If you're not using a service that uses Intel Insider, Intel Insider is doing nothing to your computer.

Past Administrator

Okay... *cough* *cough*

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    Okay... *cough* *cough*
    Wait! I didn't say turn your head to the left yet!

Platinum Member

Just revealed that 3 of Haswell's new CPUs will be BGA only, besides the ones meant for laptops, ultrabooks, etc. The i5-4570R and i5-4670R are both quad core CPUs. To make things worse, there's also the i7-4770R, which is quad core with hyperthreading. Why did i say worse? Because for those looking forward to crunching with Intel's on-die GPU, all 3 of these BGA-only CPUs come with HD 5200 graphics, instead of HD 4600 found on the rest of the desktop Haswell's. Bastards.

In short, the R suffix seems to denote BGA only. On top of that, HD 5200 comes with it's own on-package VRAM.

Platinum Member

Some info on HD graphics:

EU = Execution Units (similar to a GPU core)

HD 2000: EU=6, OpenCL = No
    HD 2500: EU=6, OpenCL = 1.1
    HD 3000: EU=12, OpenCL = No
    HD 4000: EU=16, OpenCL = 1.1
    HD 4200: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 4400: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 4600: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5000: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5100: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5200: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2, includes dedicated VRAM

Yes i'm aware Intel recently released an update which brings all HD graphics that previously supported OpenCL 1.1 up to version 1.2. I left them at 1.1 though so we could see which they were The ones marked 'No' are still 'No'.

Also note my last post in this thread about HD 5200 graphics being BGA only on some powerful CPUs. Note the difference in specs between HD 4600 and HD 5200. Alot is being missed out on.

Platinum Member

Oooh looky someone snagged a pic of the HD 5200 and posted it online just 2.5 hours ago. Speak of the devil (kinda).
    P1080612_678x452.jpg

On the left of the image you have the Lynx Point chipset. In the center you have the CPU. Immediately to the right of the CPU, that smaller chip is the dedicated VRAM. Amount/speed/type is unknown. Also notice the whole thing is soldered directly to the motherboard.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Oooh looky someone snagged a pic of the HD 5200 and posted it online just 2.5 hours ago. Speak of the devil (kinda).
    P1080612_678x452.jpg

On the left of the image you have the Lynx Point chipset. In the center you have the CPU. Immediately to the right of the CPU, that smaller chip is the dedicated VRAM. Amount/speed/type is unknown. Also notice the whole thing is soldered directly to the motherboard.
    That picture looks funky to me. See the orientation arrow in the corner? What is that needed for? Also, it looks like a daughter card. You don't put a BGA on a daughter card, and then socket onto a mobo. Something very odd here.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Some info on HD graphics:

EU = Execution Units (similar to a GPU core)

HD 2000: EU=6, OpenCL = No
    HD 2500: EU=6, OpenCL = 1.1
    HD 3000: EU=12, OpenCL = No
    HD 4000: EU=16, OpenCL = 1.1
    HD 4200: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 4400: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 4600: EU=20, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5000: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5100: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2
    HD 5200: EU=40, OpenCL = 1.2, includes dedicated VRAM

Yes i'm aware Intel recently released an update which brings all HD graphics that previously supported OpenCL 1.1 up to version 1.2. I left them at 1.1 though so we could see which they were The ones marked 'No' are still 'No'.

Also note my last post in this thread about HD 5200 graphics being BGA only on some powerful CPUs. Note the difference in specs between HD 4600 and HD 5200. Alot is being missed out on.
    This is a really good list! It makes it clear that the SB graphics (or earlier) will not crunch.

But I am confused about the new GPUs. 4200/4400/4600 all look the same, and the same with the 5000/5100/5200 (aside from the vram).
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    This is a really good list! It makes it clear that the SB graphics (or earlier) will not crunch.

But I am confused about the new GPUs. 4200/4400/4600 all look the same, and the same with the 5000/5100/5200 (aside from the vram).
    Just a guess but maybe higher # = higher clock...?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6