Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive daily use, laptop selection

Platinum Member

Red face Inexpensive daily use, laptop selection

I always value the input from the experts, as every computing related item I am going to get it on the team crunching efforts. With my big horse lappy out of commission at the moment, the need is for a small, compact laptop I can use all over the house and take on the road much easier then the mega laptop. Now with the NativeBOINC available, I have thought about Chromebooks, but they might not be all that great for my needs.

Requirements:

• 14" or smaller
    • Light weight
    • $450ish and under
    • Solid choice for daily and BOINC needs

I found a few good deals here: http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=NBB&sort=DESC

Thanks ahead of time.

Diamond Member

Re: Inexpensive daily use, laptop selection

I would start with CPU and/or GPU selection, and then go from there.

- Maximize the number of CPU threads.
    - Maximize the GPU. If the GPU is inside the CPU, then maximize that. For intel, HD 4000 will crunch. Not sure of the AMD choices, and what will crunch.

Assuming Intel, i7 mobile is outside the budget. And according to the wiki info, there is almost no discernible difference between the IB i3 and i5. Both are similar in speed and threads. The i5 has turbo boost, but I am not sure if that is actually helpful with a CPU that is full out crunching steady at 100% all the time. *shrug*

All the rest is kinda noise. That budget will not allow super hi-res screen or SSD.

Make sure that you get at least 8gb RAM! And factor that into your budget if you need to upgrade to get there. So count slots, can you add or do you have to replace, etc.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

That is a tall task. Few come with more then 6GB RAM in the price range. Even less come with a GPU of substance. The i3 chip does help a little on price. I believe a friend of mine who is helping out a little to the team has an i3 in his laptop, but I believe the AMD Athlon II P360 in my mothers laptop is out pacing the i3 in my friend's.

It is a shame that screen size increase seems to be almost a linear increase in capabilities.

Past Administrator

Hi Denim, take a look at Newegg's refurbished laptops. . You can pick up an i3 or i5 or equivalent AMD unit (which may have a better crunching GPU built in) for that price. Let us know if you see a specific model you want us to comment on.
    Here's a link to a search:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...f%20Notebooks#

Platinum Member

Platinum Member

Any opinions on the above choices with in what I am needing while still being very SETI.USA friendly?

Platinum Member

I'd go with the ASUS or HP. I got my sister and brother-in-law an ASUS for xmas and it's pretty nice. Also i've never had any real trouble out of HP.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    I'd go with the ASUS or HP. I got my sister and brother-in-law an ASUS for xmas and it's pretty nice. Also i've never had any real trouble out of HP.
    I like ASUS because their keyboards have a better feel. Also, many of the HPs have shiny screens which cause reflection issues. My ASUS laptop doesn't have that problem.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Platinum Member

Lightbulb Re: Inexpensive daily use, laptop selection

Thanks guys. I will look back at the ASUS and probably pull the trigger here in a day or so. Surprised no votes for the little Dell's.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast