Thread: Projects that support Intel HD GPU crunching

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member

Projects that support Intel HD GPU crunching

Ding!

I am now crunching AstroPulse tasks (SETI@home) on my win8 Intel HD 4000 (i7-3770S CPU). They take 10,300 seconds to run. I am *slowly* downloading some tasks for my 7970, which will be run with the lunatics .40 app, so I can compare. Stay tuned. Also, I am not sure how that compares to other GPUs, or what my GPU load is. Does anyone know of an afterburner alternative that "sees" Intel HD GPUs?

See here for info on how. Note my post where I have a modified app_info.xml, that tricks the server into sending tasks to my CPU, because the SETI server has not yet been upgraded to "know" about the Intel HD GPU. Yes, you read that right...S@H server code is not up to date. The good news is that the tasks are the same for CPU and GPU, so my GPU app crunches those "CPU" tasks just fine.

Things to consider before you try this:

• I have not yet tried to do this with a machine that *also* has a discrete GPU. I think I have read something about problems where the opencl driver for intel conflicts with the opencl driver of amd/nvidia.
    • I have not tried this with win7. I have read conflicting reports on it working with win7. For sure nothing less than win7.
    • You have to run something later than the "recommended" version of BOINC. I am using .52 for this machine.
    • You won't be able to also run CPU versions of AP at the same time, if that matters to you.
    • AP tasks are BIG, so you really need to apply the TCP RFC1323 extensions, if you want them to download....well ever. See more here. Turns out that the Linux and OSX TCP implementation already include those features. It's just win that is lacking by default.

Next up: I hear Slicker is working on the app and server at collatz. Fingers crossed!

Edit #1: 7970, running a single task with v40 lunatics takes 2,300 seconds.

Edit #2: GPU-Z supports monitoring GPU load on Intel HD
    Last edited by zombie67; 03-28-13 at 07:58 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne