Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting so BOINC reports completed WUs instantly?

Past Administrator

Setting so BOINC reports completed WUs instantly?

I just redid a few computers and realized I've forgotten what to add to make BOINC report the WUs as they finish instead of collecting 30 or so of them up before it reports them. Obviously this setting is needed for close challenges when every WU counts!
    Thanks for the info.

Cruncher Pete

Re: Setting so BOINC reports completed WUs instantly?

You need to have an app_info.xml for the project that you wish to run and add to it: <report_reuslts_immediately>.

I presume you know how to make an app_info and where to place it. Let me know if not and I will explain...

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cruncher Pete View Post
    You need to have an app_info.xml for the project that you wish to run and add to it: <report_reuslts_immediately>.

I presume you know how to make an app_info and where to place it. Let me know if not and I will explain...
    You can add the line on cc_config also and that will be to all Boinc projects with no need to make another app_info every time you join a new project. Sometimes is needed for other reasons, like GPU crunching or to simulate more CPUs. Like:

<cc_config>
    <options>
    <report_results_immediately>1</report_results_immediately>
    <ncpus>2</ncpus>
    </options>
    </cc_config>
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Cruncher Pete

Thanks Duke. That is a better answer.

It might be worthwhile to read: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=174138 as BOINC versions 7.0.42 and above no longer use app_info.xml but app_config.xml. Handy to know especially for those projects that use GPU's.

Administrator

Another question, can you use the ncpu command in a app_info/app_config and limit the number of cores/threads that a cpu project uses?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    Another question, can you use the ncpu command in a app_info/app_config and limit the number of cores/threads that a cpu project uses?
    It might work to use:

max_concurrent: This specifies the maximum number of WU the app can run at a time. Best to set this to the number of total HCC1 WU your computer will be doing at a time.

Thus limiting the number of that Cpu project WUs you run. I do not know if you can limit it to run like 4 different cpu only projects and X GPU projects on a machine. But you could do 2 cpu projects running 2 WU each, or 4 running 1 each.
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Diamond Member

To be clear:

1) <report_results_immediately>0|1</report_results_immediately>: It is placed in the cc_config.xml file. cc_config.xml goes in the BOINC folder, and applies to all projects.

2) app_config.xml did not replace app_info.xml (aka anonymous platform). app_config.xml is a simpler way to do some of the things app_info.xml can do, and can be used as an alternative to app_info.xml. At least one project (WCG) will not allow anonymous platform, so app_config.xml was developed as an alternative method to adjust scheduling parameters. app_config.xml requires later versions of 7.0.xx, but I don't recall exactly which one is started with. Both files are project-specific, and must be placed in a project folder under BOINC. I do not believe that you can use both at the same time for a particular project, but I haven't tested that.
    Last edited by zombie67; 04-02-13 at 09:02 AM.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    You can use on any Boinc .xml file to expand or limit, the number of CPUs you want to run in a project or in Boinc. The use of more cores than you have will in the end make run more tasks dividing the CPU power for the tasks.

Examples on cc_config:
    If in dual core I use 4 ncpus, it will run 4 threads or tasks at the same time.
    If I put 1 ncpu it will use only one core, saving the other for domestic use.

Examples on app_info/app_config:
    Takes all the CPU power to the project as long you have enough tasks to run.
    Limits the use of the project to the amount of cores that you say the project can use, the others will run other Boinc projects.

I hope that was clear enough, my English sometimes is not enough on this technical issues.
    Last edited by Duke of Buckingham; 04-02-13 at 09:09 AM.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    To be clear:

1) <report_results_immediately>0|1</report_results_immediately>: It is placed in the cc_config.xml file. cc_config.xml goes in the BOINC folder, and applies to all projects.

2) app_config.xml did not replace app_info.xml (aka anonymous platform). app_config.xml is a simpler way to do some of the things app_info.xml can do, and can be used as an alternative to app_info.xml. At least one project (WCG) will not allow anonymous platform, so app_config.xml was developed as an alternative method to adjust scheduling parameters. app_config.xml requires later versions of 7.0.xx, but I don't recall exactly which one is started with. Both files are project-specific, and must be placed in a project folder under BOINC. I do not believe that you can use both at the same time for a particular project, but I haven't tested that.
    In contradictory instructions the computer always uses the last and the last should be the app_config before of that the app_info and before of that the cc_config. If computing laws still apply that should be it but I never tested also.

Sorry for posting immediately after you Z, the forum doesn't say nothing about other posts in the same thread when we are about to post. In some others there is a warning message.

Administrator

So app_config works with BOINC 7.0.4xx and higher. Is there one of the newer versions that is actually somewhat stable? I'm doing CPU crunching only.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast