Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Setting so BOINC reports completed WUs instantly?

Silver Member

Re: Setting so BOINC reports completed WUs instantly?

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post

And anonymous platform is still the only way to use custom apps. So app_config.xml is not a replacement for anonymous platform.
    Could you explain this in more detail. I'm confused as to where an app-config cannot replace an app_info.

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Diamond Member

AppConfig
    is a Perl5 module for managing application configuration information. It maintains the state of any number of variables and provides methods for parsing configuration files, command line arguments and CGI script parameters.

Variables values may be set via configuration files. Variables may be flags (On/Off), take a single value, or take multiple values stored as a list or hash. The number of arguments a variable expects is determined by its configuration when defined.

AppInfo
    I didn't know about it before IPhones and IPads, it seems thought to be somehow redundant and is only in use at Boinc because of some projects that choose not to use the AppConfig.

There are several (more or less) technical explanations about it on the web, I like this one for being more complete: http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/es...opg_annot.html

I don't think there is any easy explanation about it anyway. The use of config files comes from the start of computers and have a lot things that have no meaning anymore, mainly adapting the hardware to software on a time (beginning of DOS) that Microsoft was just a dream and most laugh of Bill Gates statements that software would be more important than hardware.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by nanoprobe View Post
    Could you explain this in more detail. I'm confused as to where an app-config cannot replace an app_info.
    I think he is referring to the question I asked earlier. If you have optimized executables (.exe files) and .dll that are NOT the stock program issued by the project then you must tell BOINC which program to run for the project. This is done with the app_info.xml file.

For example, I have optimized apps that give 3X the credits of the stock GSCE program on Oproject. The app_info looks like this:

<app_info>
    <app>
    <name>gsce-sv</name>
    <user_friendly_name>GSCE-SV</user_friendly_name>
    </app>

<file_info>
    <name>gsce_boinc_windows_x86_64_I7.exe</name>
    <executable/>
    </file_info>

<app_version>
    <app_name>gsce-sv</app_name>
    <version_num>105</version_num>
    <platform>windows_x86_64</platform>
    <avg_ncpus>1.000000</avg_ncpus>
    <max_ncpus>1.000000</max_ncpus>
    <flops>1954031431.285427</flops>
    <api_version>7.1.0</api_version>
    <file_ref>
    <file_name>gsce_boinc_windows_x86_64_I7.exe</file_name>
    <open_name>gsce_boinc_windows_x86_64_I7.exe</open_name>
    <main_program/>
    <copy_file/>
    </file_ref>
    </app_version>

</app_info>

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    I think he is referring to the question I asked earlier. If you have optimized executables (.exe files) and .dll that are NOT the stock program issued by the project then you must tell BOINC which program to run for the project. This is done with the app_info.xml file.

For example, I have optimized apps that give 3X the credits of the stock GSCE program on Oproject. The app_info looks like this:

<app_info>
    <app>
    <name>gsce-sv</name>
    <user_friendly_name>GSCE-SV</user_friendly_name>
    </app>

<file_info>
    <name>gsce_boinc_windows_x86_64_I7.exe</name>
    <executable/>
    </file_info>

<app_version>
    <app_name>gsce-sv</app_name>
    <version_num>105</version_num>
    <platform>windows_x86_64</platform>
    <avg_ncpus>1.000000</avg_ncpus>
    <max_ncpus>1.000000</max_ncpus>
    <flops>1954031431.285427</flops>
    <api_version>7.1.0</api_version>
    <file_ref>
    <file_name>gsce_boinc_windows_x86_64_I7.exe</file_name>
    <open_name>gsce_boinc_windows_x86_64_I7.exe</open_name>
    <main_program/>
    <copy_file/>
    </file_ref>
    </app_version>

</app_info>
    Interesting. Thanks for the explanation. How did you ever figure out how to construct the app_info to give you the desired results at Oproject?

You'll never know what you're living for until you know what you're willing to die for.

Diamond Member

Check out the pages I linked to in the earlier post. I included them again below. In short, app_info.xml is for running your own executables, and also allows you to set custom scheduling parameters. app_config.xml uses the stock apps from the project server, it is only for changing scheduling parameters.

app_info.xml (AKA anonymous platform)
    BOINC applications are native-mode programs, so different versions are required for each platform (a "platform" is the combination of an operating system and a CPU architecture: e.g., Linux/Intel32). Each BOINC-based project has application versions for one or more platforms. When the BOINC client requests work from the project's server, the client tells the server its platform, and the server gives it the appropriate version.
    This addresses the needs of most BOINC participants, but it's inadequate if:
    • your computers have platforms not supported by BOINC or by the project;
    • for security reasons, you want to only run executables you have compiled yourself;
    • you want to optimize applications for particular architectures.

To handle these cases, BOINC offers a mechanism called anonymous platform. This lets you build applications yourself, or obtain them from a third party, rather than getting them from the project server. This can be used only for projects that make their source code available.
    app_config.xml
    This doc describes a new feature that will allow volunteers to adjust application scheduling parameters.

Note: this is separate from the anonymous platform mechanism.

A volunteer can configure a project's apps by putting a file app_config.xml in the project's directory.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

I saw at Oproject that they have some optimization apps depending onn your CPU. I'll have to play with that some day. Thanks again

Gold Member

To return results immediately, you need to use an older BOINC client. DA "fixed" it and took away the return_results_immediately in recent 7.x versions. You will see in the event log when BOINC starts that the return_results_immediately setting is not recogniuzed.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    To return results immediately, you need to use an older BOINC client. DA "fixed" it and took away the return_results_immediately in recent 7.x versions. You will see in the event log when BOINC starts that the return_results_immediately setting is not recogniuzed.
    So in a challenge I guess we need to run "Updater"

Administrator

I saw at Oproject that they have some optimization apps depending onn your CPU. I'll have to play with that some day. Thanks again
    I have posted 3 sets of Intel optimized apps that give 3X credits over stock. They are for I7s, Core 2 quads, and E53xx/54xx Xeons. F$ setup an account on Dropbox.com where you can download them. The apps work on GSCE only.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Yeah, I saw that too. But I think maybe he put it back in. Here 7.0.58:

Code:
    484			4/4/2013 1:17:35 PM	Re-reading cc_config.xml	
    485			4/4/2013 1:17:35 PM	Not using a proxy	
    486			4/4/2013 1:17:35 PM	Config: report completed tasks immediately	
    487			4/4/2013 1:17:35 PM	Config: use all coprocessors	
    488			4/4/2013 1:17:35 PM	Config: GUI RPC allowed from any host	
    489			4/4/2013 1:17:35 PM	log flags: file_xfer, sched_ops, task, sched_op_debug
    No error message.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast