Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: News: Microsoft Could Be Obsolete By 2017

Past Administrator

News: Microsoft Could Be Obsolete By 2017

Yahoo News: Gartner Report ---> http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...154459119.html

Other interesting tidbits

iWatch??? Apple is preparing to go where Samsung can’t follow ---> http://news.yahoo.com/apple-preparin...154012782.html

Mars missions scaled back in April because of sun ---> http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...04-04-04-30-09

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Re: News: Microsoft Could Be Obsolete By 2017

Errrm....Samsung actually made their first Smartwatch in 1999, so it seems this author is misinformed and biased at the same time, no to mention overhyping Apple's ability to "innovate". Also, Samsung made the screen, RAM, Flash and CPUs for all of Apple's previous iPhones and iPads. They were originally Samsung's own parts. How is that a knockoff? lolfail

Let's see....oh here's an article with a pic of Samsung's 1999 smartwatch http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/...rist-accessory

Note that it's from an Apple fanboi site

Gold Member

I think there's a typo in the subject line. Shouldn't it say "2007"? At least that's how it is in my house.
    6r39 7r199

Past Administrator

I'm not trying to back Microsoft, believe me, I wish I could run Linux but the business software is "married" to Windows. But here's what I don't like about this trend, and please remember I'm looking at this from a doctor's neurology background: The "average Joe" user is being dumbed down even further, and has turned even MORE into a consumer, instead of a content creator. Most consumerism is cognitively passive. Pretty soon all these devices will be just as bad (read passive or one-way data flow) for people as watching a TV is. Maybe even worse because of early onset of carpel tunnel and their extremely poor posture and eye fatigue looking at a tiny screen! LOL.

Ever tried actually creating any worth while content on a tablet? It sucks. How about on a "smart phone"? Please...trust me, we didn't have Internet access at the beach pad for 2 years, so I know. I tried. A "real" keyboard and bigger screen will blow these things out of the water every time for actually doing something productive.

[RANT] But then again...apparently no one cares if we are a healthy, productive society or not because just look at all the stats. The numbers don't lie. Maybe that is why so many are happy to dump their actual computer for a tablet or smaller device - all they ever wanted one for was surfing or watching a movie on anyway.[/RANT]

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Ever tried actually creating any worth while content on a tablet? It sucks. How about on a "smart phone"? Please...trust me, we didn't have Internet access at the beach pad for 2 years, so I know. I tried. A "real" keyboard and bigger screen will blow these things out of the water every time for actually doing something productive.
    Is that why I prefer an 8lb laptop with an 18" screen and full 101 key keyboard that has the numeric keypad on the side? My wife uses her iPad at work which she finds easy to take to meetings and take notes, etc. That would drive me nuts. So I guess it depends upon your tolerance for pain, or in this case, typos and watery eyes.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Platinum Member

IDC shows Windows 8 is actively destroying PC sales
    Just like we told you would happen, just a bit worse

Quote Originally Posted by SemiAccurate
    Remember when SemiAccurate said Microsoft had failed? Remember how Microsoft didn’t put out numbers for sales of Surface for good cause? Remeber how SemiAccurate said Windows 8 was destroying sales? Guess what just came out? More numbers.

Windows 8 is an unimaginably bad OS but you know that. How bad is it? According to no less than IDC’s VP of Clients and Displays it flat-out killed the market. No really, the exact quote is, “At this point, unfortunately, it seems clear that the Windows 8 launch not only failed to provide a positive boost to the PC market, but appears to have slowed the market“. How slow? A hair under 14% worldwide.

This shouldn’t shock any SemiAccurate readers, we told you why Surface could not succeed, we detailed why Microsoft had failed not will fail, why OEMs are running for the hills in ways never before seen, and many many more.

Of course Microsoft’s paid press and apologists swarmed out and claimed everything from the numbers not being out to it being all about the economy. The first numbers came out a long time ago and they backed SemiAccurate up. Since then things have gotten worse and Microsoft still won’t offer internal data to refute the now thoroughly backed up allegations, no points if you can guess why. The economy claims were shot down with ease though, tablets were booming and most cost significantly more than a laptop PC. Microsoft was smart enough to leave that brilliant logic to proxies though, the slower ones at that.

“Try it and you will like it” was often bandied about too. People tried it and the foresight of the EULA authors precludes those trialling it from getting their money back. No one likes it. As SemiAccurate repeatedly said, Microsoft is desperately trying to leverage their Windows desktop monopoly into the phone space. We said it would fail. It did. We said it would hurt their desktop business, we underestimated the damage. We said PC partners were literally dumping Microsoft. Everyone thought we meant tablets and WART. We didn’t. The walls they built to lock customers in are now far more effective at keeping them out and Microsoft is desperately but ineffectually flailing. Game over, told ya so. S|A
    Goodbye M$
    Last edited by John P. Myers; 04-11-13 at 08:38 PM.

Past Administrator

Arrivederci

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

I'm still not sure what exactly they thought was "broken" in Win7 x64? That has got to be the best Windows OS ever, hands down. Why couldn't they get it through their thick skulls to just take a product like Win7 and focus on making it faster, more efficient code, more stable, etc...why in the heck keep reinventing the wheel?
    Stupid, stupid, shooting themselves in foot. Both feet, of sounds like. And for what gain???

Do you think Linux may be the wave of the future finally? They're always claiming "year of the Linux desktop" and it hasn't really happened yet. But it's finally got enough appeal to the average Joe (how easy can it be to install an Ubuntu live CD) at exactly the moment MS is having serious problems.

Just wonder how it will play out. The thing in MS' corner is Adobe - and about 25 years of proprietary business software (such as what my office runs) that needs Windows OS to run.
    Last edited by DrPop; 04-12-13 at 03:03 AM.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    I'm still not sure what exactly they thought was "broken" in Win7 x64? That has got to be the best Windows OS ever, hands down. Why couldn't they get it through their thick skulls to just take a product like Win7 and focus on making it faster, more efficient code, more stable, etc...why in the heck keep reinventing the wheel?
    Stupid, stupid, shooting themselves in foot. Both feet, of sounds like. And for what gain???

Do you think Linux may be the wave of the future finally? They're always claiming "year of the Linux desktop" and it hasn't really happened yet. But it's finally got enough appeal to the average Joe (how easy can it be to install an Ubuntu live CD) at exactly the moment MS is having serious problems.

Just wonder how it will play out. The thing in MS' corner is Adobe - and about 25 years of proprietary business software (such as what my office runs) that needs Windows OS to run.
    Win7 didn't have touch screen technology so that meant no smart phone or tablet usage. So, MS came up with Win8 and then forced it on PC users as well. The legacy start menu used in Windows didn't lend itself to touch screens very well so they changed everything. The last time Microsoft pulled a dumb move like this, it took them several years to put it behind them and another several to gain the (albeit limited) trust of users. With OS X, Android, and Linux all gaining ground, I don't think 4-6 years to recover will work this time.

IMO, MS came too late to the party and were under dressed. Now, if Google came out with an Android OS for PCs and didn't charge a bazillion dollars for it like Apple does, they could probably put MS out of business. Remember when Novell was THE server operating system? Windows for Workgroups did them in. I have a feeling that OS X and Android are going to do in Windows unless Win8 can capture at least 50% of the tablet market and I don't see that happening.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Platinum Member

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast