Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pirates has work!

Platinum Member

Re: Pirates has work!

Quote Originally Posted by NJCaNS View Post
    Do it for the team. ARG!!

Work is so sporadic on this project and given out so slowly (only a few at a time as in no caching) therefore hard to get that everyone should attach to the project to get a few WU's. When asked for the project URL, enter: http://pirates.spy-hill.net/

SG is 1K up on us on RAC and we're in first by only 20K but we're almost 600K from a valuable 1 million Mega Milestone. So get em while they're there.

Mumps, what's your secret to getting so many credits? Sheer number of PC's? If one had a virtual setup on their PC they could run Pirates there and get more WU's?
    Sadly enough, yes, sheer numbers. I currently have 56 hosts participating in Pirates. No VM's though, but my guess is that would indeed work. I just powered up one of the VM's I had hanging around and it happily grabbed itself a Pirates task. Not a surprise to me seeing as 90% of my hosts are behind the same firewall, and would show as the same IP address. And there's 3 main groups of those that would all be matching O/S and hardware.

Silver Member

Bumping
    SG is now out RAC'ing us by 2K a day and we're going to lose one of our #1 within a day.

Big crunchers can't carry this one since the project strictly limits how much work a PC can get a day. As Mumps confirmed, this takes sheer number of PC's. The work units are very small and quick. Most of the time it's waiting to get new WU's. By my estimate only about 1% of my daily CPU potential gets used by Pirates with the rest of the CPU time of the PC going to it's usual work.

Point is, everyone should add Pirates while it has work so we can keep pace with SG on this project.

Past Administrator

I just added 3 hosts for you...probably will suck because it gave me 1 WU. Yay... But I did it for the team...and NJ! hehe

EDIT: Yeah, that was a real winner there. Chewed through my first one in 3 mins, and then it doesn't have anymore WUs for me. Nice. Well, I suppose my rig will mainly be crunching AQUA here, but I'll leave Pirates on just in case any decide to show up for a good swashbuckling time...
    Last edited by DrPop; 01-06-11 at 01:42 AM.

Platinum Member

Yup. Pirates is a very low resource project. You'll get, at most, 1 WU per core that will run in minutes, but then the project insists on a 1 hour delay before it will give you more work. And if you hit the update button, no matter where you are in the 1 hour, it's backed off for a full hour from that point. So no updating (especially auto-updating) for this project!

Gold Member

This is a project we should be doing well in since it's suggested in so many places. People might have it suspended still from the last Primegrid challenge.
    6r39 7r199

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Yup. Pirates is a very low resource project. You'll get, at most, 1 WU per core that will run in minutes, but then the project insists on a 1 hour delay before it will give you more work. And if you hit the update button, no matter where you are in the 1 hour, it's backed off for a full hour from that point. So no updating (especially auto-updating) for this project!
    Good info on having to wait at least 1 hour to get new work. I think my aut update is set real low to catch LCH work. I'll bump it up to .05 which should get me updates every 1.2 hours (if my math and understanding of this is correct).

Seems to be 1 WU per core but I have had 4 WU's at once on a dual but not on a quad that I'm aware of yet.

Gold Member

Got 250 credits yesterday. 12 hosts added today. Almost half way to a 10K milestone!
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

krackedpress

Quote Originally Posted by Slicker View Post
    Got 250 credits yesterday. 12 hosts added today. Almost half way to a 10K milestone!
    I onlly get 2 WUs at a time on my Quad, and then it seems that I get only one set every hour and most time less, till I got the message this morning that there were no more work.

On 12-30 I had about 1255, and since yesterday I have 1699. 193 tasks on this quad and 35 on the dual laptop that is not crunching any more. My RAC is about 35.

Diamond Member

Yep. That's the way it works. Only a couple tasks at a time. Updates take 60 minutes. Hitting the update button early resets the clock. So NO TOUCHY.

And yeah, they are out of work. Probably for a while. They come in batches every several months.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Keel-haul the lubber! We were just getting up to full sail. Now we're sitting in the doldrums 1.5K behind SG. Hope they don't blow their ballast.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast