Thread: GPUGRID: improved performance via SWAN_SYNC=0

Diamond Member

GPUGRID: improved performance via SWAN_SYNC=0

Check out this thread:

http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=2327

Reading through it, and other other threads there, there is significance performance improvement to be gained by using the "SWAN_SYNC=0" environmental setting. It dedicates a thread to the GPU. Anyone tried this?
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Re: GPUGRID: improved performance via SWAN_SYNC=0

Quote Originally Posted by zombie67 View Post
    Check out this thread:

http://www.gpugrid.net/forum_thread.php?id=2327

Reading through it, and other other threads there, there is significance performance improvement to be gained by using the "SWAN_SYNC=0" environmental setting. It dedicates a thread to the GPU. Anyone tried this?
    I did the other day and it definitely made a diffence. Gpu usage went from about 60% to 74%. The longer 8-12 hours wu's pay considerably better too. I have also read that you get a credit bonus for returning wu's promptly dunno about that.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by -GER- View Post
    I have also read that you get a credit bonus for returning wu's promptly dunno about that.
    This is true. So when you crunch GPUGRID, you should keep a very small cache. Something like .5 days or less. That way it does not download the 2nd task until the 1st one is almost done.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Platinum Member

So I can find the instructions again...

This is good. If you want maximum performance, you should dedicate one CPU core to feed the GPU. Use the SWAN_SYNC=0 environmental setting to achieve this. (control panel -> system -> advanced tab -> environment variables -> new (system variables) -> variable name: SWAN_SYNC value: 0 -> restart windows)

Silver Member

I tried this out.. My performance went from 70% to around 40%... however when I pause all my CPU tasks I shoot up to about 88%.

Is there a way to leave 2 cpu's open to feed my 2 gpu's while still churning cpu work units?

Silver Member

Yeah lower boincs CPU use by the "On Multi Processors Use XX%" option

Since I have an "8 core" system, every 12.5% = 1 CPU

on 4 cores, it's 25% per cpu

So if you want 2 CPUs free for 2 GPU tasks on a 4 core system, set the value to 50% (75% for an 8 core would leave 2 free)

Silver Member

I just added the swan_sync 0 variable to My i7-2600K machine and rebooted it.. the GPUGrid forums are very wrong that this is only for a 400 line or linux systems..

With these 560TIs, I was doing 600-800Mflops/sec on long runs, once I set swan sync to 0, I'm doing 4.2GFlops/sec on GpuGrid "long runs" however, I can't let boinc use more than 75% (6 cores) or my performance goes to hell

I don't recommend doing this on a dual core machine with 2 GPUs unless you want to crunch GPU only tasks.

So for me this is over a 500% increase in speed with this setting for my GPU WUs!
    Last edited by DAD; 10-17-11 at 07:32 PM.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by dduttonnc View Post
    Yeah lower boincs CPU use by the "On Multi Processors Use XX%" option

Since I have an "8 core" system, every 12.5% = 1 CPU

on 4 cores, it's 25% per cpu

So if you want 2 CPUs free for 2 GPU tasks on a 4 core system, set the value to 50% (75% for an 8 core would leave 2 free)

Wouldn't this just take 2 cores away from BOINC?

or is it only 2 cores away from tasks within boinc.. and the 2 spare cpu's will feed still?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dorsilfin View Post
    Wouldn't this just take 2 cores away from BOINC?

or is it only 2 cores away from tasks within boinc.. and the 2 spare cpu's will feed still?
    Well you can't specify cores... so on a 4 core, 50% takes 50% load of the 4 cores so "2 cores" of power are left. 75% for an 8 core.

If you do the swan sync and leave the setting at 100% then your GPU and CPU tasks will all suffer as there won't be enough CPU time available.