Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Collatz is down

Past Administrator

Re: Collatz is down

Don't worry, Carlos. Slicker is the most "on top of it" project admin I have seen yet. The problem here is there was a real bad electric storm that took out components of the server, and trying to track down exactly what got fried is tough sometimes, especially if those parts work intermittently.
    It could have been way worse - if he lived in Oklahoma City, or one of the other places that just got nailed by the huge tornadoes, there might not be any Collatz left at all! So as bad as it is, I will be thankful it was "only" an electric storm.

Gold Member

I have a question. Under this situation where the server is down, I have 9 wu's done to upload with deadline of 4th of June and 21/51 wu's done with deadline of 5th of June. What happens with the wu's if the server stays down and goes up after the deadline of the completed wu's?

{KWSN}Gemjunkie[TeaM]

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    I have a question. Under this situation where the server is down, I have 9 wu's done to upload with deadline of 4th of June and 21/51 wu's done with deadline of 5th of June. What happens with the wu's if the server stays down and goes up after the deadline of the completed wu's?
    A late fine of $1US/WU/day applies. Better send the results by snail mail as backup.

Diamond Member

Quote Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post
    You'll be fine. When the server comes back up, it will issue replacement tasks to someone else. So long as you return yours before he crunches and returns the replacements, you will be credited. You have the advantage of not needing any crunching time.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by {KWSN}Gemjunkie[TeaM] View Post
    A late fine of $1US/WU/day applies. Better send the results by snail mail as backup.
    WOW!

If all of the people with late WU's did that, he might have a really nice system!
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Friend of SETI.USA

Down again, Wu's won't Upload ...

Friend of SETI.USA

Looks like it's back up again ...

Gold Member

Not sure why it died yesterday. All I can figure is that the UPS shuts down when it can't handle the power surge. We had a huge storm over night and it was dead when I checked it. Took a while to do all the verifications to make sure the database was OK prior to enabling public access. I've actually got another server purchased and set up with Debian and BOINC but have to get the database, project folders, WUs, etc. all transferred over in order to switch to the new server. Maybe I'll start with trying to set it up as a MySQL cluster so it can sync up the data and then later shut everything down to copy the remaining folders and source and rebuild everything.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Friend of SETI.USA

Down again, can't Upload Wu's ...

Gold Member

It's back up now. Was at the airport dropping off relatives or else it would have been back up sooner.
    Spring 2008 Race: (1st Place)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast