Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sargies Tower upgrade

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Silver Member

Wink Sargies Tower upgrade

Current configuration:

Case Nzxt Lexa-S Gaming Tower Case - Black w/ Blue Light
    Processor [== Quad Core ==] AMD Phenom™ II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU
    Motherboard Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P -- AMD 770 Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, PCI-E MB
    Memory 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module
    Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 – 1GB - Single Card
    Power Supply 1000 Watt -- Extreme Power Supply - [Gaming Series] Quad SLI + Active PFC
    Processor Cooling iBUYPOWER AMD Liquid CPU Cooling Fan System Kit
    Master Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE - [16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s]
    2nd Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE - [16M Cache, 7200 RPM, 3.0Gb/s]
    Optical Drive 22X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Blue
    Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
    Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-Bit
    Flash Media Reader/Writer 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Blue
    iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion Internal USB Expansion System

Been having heat issues with the cpu for a while now and the graphics card is starting to show its teeth. Going to upgrade the internals a bit

Upgrades Inbound:

Corsair H100I
    M5A99X EVO R2.0
    AMD FX‑8350
    2 x 8gig stick ddr3 1600 Crucial low profile (installed)
    GeForce Titan Graphics Card
    Last edited by Sarge104; 12-27-13 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Equipment update
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Go get 'em Sarge! Oooohh...I see a little water cooling is in your future. Nice.
    Pretty nice case for a mid tower. I am partial to the giant towers just because I like working inside a huge enclosure that way there seems like enough room for everything and I don't scrape my hands up in the process, but for a more compact unit, that thing seems like it's got all you'd need and looks good to boot!
    Best of luck with the new build and O/Cing that FX CPU. If you can O/C it high enough, you will get some decent performance I think.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Go get 'em Sarge! Oooohh...I see a little water cooling is in your future. Nice.
    Pretty nice case for a mid tower. I am partial to the giant towers just because I like working inside a huge enclosure that way there seems like enough room for everything and I don't scrape my hands up in the process, but for a more compact unit, that thing seems like it's got all you'd need and looks good to boot!
    Best of luck with the new build and O/Cing that FX CPU. If you can O/C it high enough, you will get some decent performance I think.
    Only issue I'm running into is replacing the I/O ports on the front door. I broke the headphone/mic jacks and I'm in the process of getting the info for replacing the board they are on.

The I purchased this tower in its current config back in '09 and unfortunately at that time I just didn't know enough to make informed purchases at that time. I think the water cooling was inadequate for the amount of power that I was putting through the processor and the fans that I started in the case with were just too under powered to get the job done. I've upgraded the fans already and I'm just waiting on the rest of the parts to do the rest of the work.
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Yeeeeeha! Congrats on the new hardware.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104
    8gig stick ddr3 1600 CL11 (Kingston/Crucial, can't make up my mind)
    Noooooooo! CL11 is too high These Crucial modules would be optimal. CL8. Much faster.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Noooooooo! CL11 is too high These Crucial modules would be optimal. CL8. Much faster.
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering if there would be a bottle neck with such a high latency on the ram. Will look into getting something with a lower latency. My next question would be would it be more efficient to have two 8gig chips or do the four 2 gig chips at the same speed. I'm pretty sure nothing the computer would be doing would be able to take advantage of anything over 16gigs but I'm pretty sure the board supports up to 32gigs if it comes to it.
    Last edited by Sarge104; 06-22-13 at 04:45 PM. Reason: correction on terminology
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I was wondering if there would be a bottle neck with such a high latency on the ram. Will look into getting something with a lower latency. My next question would be would it be more efficient to have two 8gig chips or do the four 2 gig chips at the same speed. I'm pretty sure nothing the computer would be doing would be able to take advantage of anything over 16gigs but I'm pretty sure the board supports up to 32gigs if it comes to it.
    Since the FX-8350 supports 2 memory channels, 2 x 8GB is more efficient and more stable when overclocked. Also makes the CPU more stable when highly overclocked. Also, fewer modules = less power usage.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Since the FX-8350 supports 2 memory channels, 2 x 8GB is more efficient and more stable when overclocked. Also makes the CPU more stable when highly overclocked. Also, fewer modules = less power usage.
    Appreciate the info, I must've been going through a brain fart when I wrote out the 4x2gig...meant 4x4gig to achieve the 16 gig output.
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Sarge,

Have you actually placed your order yet?

Although it would a sizable increase in outlay of cash, the following would have better long term value.

Instead of the air cooled Titan go with EVGA's Hydro Cooper Titan (Link)

And add the Swiftech H220 cooler I mentioned before. That combination would help extend the life of the CPU and GPU. And the H220 is much less expensive then piecing together a liquid cooling solution from any of the manufacturers out there including Swiftech.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast