Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sargies Tower upgrade

Silver Member

Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

After a couple days of poking a prodding at the BIOS I finally got the tower back to 4.8 GHz stable. I've been having issues using the CPU Clock multiplier so I kept that at 20 while I increased the clock using the CPU/NB Freq. Surprisingly I've gotten higher clocks with a little less power being put to the chip(1.46V). Granted this was during a ten minute stress with Prime 95 using the base cpu torture and cpu/ram torture tests.

The bad news is I believe my 1000watt power supply is starting to show its age. I first noticed issues with my old over clock settings using the higher 1.5V and aggressive power management. It seems that even if I get the tower to post and start to run tests in windows I would have issues with stability throughout the entire process. I know it may be from having the power up a little high but I've not had as much issues as I've ran into recently. The power supply has served for over five years.
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Results of tonights labors...

Started out with the "stable" overclock that I had obtained via CPU/NB:
    4.8GHZ

Of course I'm not happy unless I get that "little bit more", or break things...
    4.9GHz?

So my question is, during my testing I noticed the multiplier on the CPU-Z go to 7 and the Clock speed show around 1.7 GHz, is this a sign of instability or something else? Will update with a pic of what is going on in a few mins...

Quick test that reproduced the result, is this a result of instability or something else? During my testing temperatures stayed well within normal margins and the chip is allowed to pull up to 1.5v if needed. The times I've been testing and this happens the clock will bounce from 7-20.
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Greetings Team,

Sorry for the communications blackout I've been under. Long story short bad things happened, I got over them, and I'm back and looking to assist once more. My current set up is a tower I built back in 2010 with a few upgrades over the years. I'm looking into building a new tower and finally getting the other mid and mini towers up and crunching. To that end I'm looking for advice on my build to see if there is anything I'm missing. Thank you in advance for your help.

Case 1 x Thermaltake Overseer Full Tower Gaming Case-Black
    LED Fan Lighting 1 x 3x [RGB] Azza Hurricane 120mm RGB LED Fan-
    Internal Expansion 1 x [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Hub + ASUS Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter-
    Processor 1 x AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Processor (8x 3.6GHZ/16MB L3 Cache)-
    Processor Cooling 1 x NZXT Kraken X42 140mm Liquid CPU Cooler-[ryzen]
    Memory 1 x 32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-2400 Memory Module-Corsair or Major Brand
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 8GB - EVGA Hybrid FTW (All-in-One Water Cool; VR Ready)-
    Motherboard 1 x MSI X370 XPOWER Gaming Titanium -- Mystic Light RGB, 3x PCIe x16, 1x USB 3.1 Gen2, 4x USB 3.1 Gen1, 3x USB 2.0-
    Power Supply 1 x 1200 Watt - Corsair AX1200i - 80 PLUS Platinum Full Modular-
    M.2/PCI-E SSD Card 1 x 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVME SSD -- Read: 3200MB/s; Write: 1900MB/s-
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB Hard Drive -- 32MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s-includes [FREE] 240GB Kingston A400 SATA-3 SSD
    Data Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB WD Blue Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s-Single Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x LG 14x Blu-ray Rewriter, DVD Rewriter Combo Drive-Black
    2nd Optical Drive 1 x None-
    Media Card Reader / Writer 1 x 12-In-1 Internal Media Card Reader/Writer-Black
    Meter Display 1 x Thermaltake Commander F6 RGB LCD 6 Channel Fan Controller-
    Sound Card 1 x Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx [PCIE] -- 7.1 Channels, 192kHz/24-bit, 106 dB SNR-
    Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)-
    USB Expansion Card 1 x None-
    Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Pro-(64-bit)
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

Welcome back!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge104 View Post
    Greetings Team,

Sorry for the communications blackout I've been under. Long story short bad things happened, I got over them, and I'm back and looking to assist once more. My current set up is a tower I built back in 2010 with a few upgrades over the years. I'm looking into building a new tower and finally getting the other mid and mini towers up and crunching. To that end I'm looking for advice on my build to see if there is anything I'm missing. Thank you in advance for your help.
    Looks like that MoBo supports up to 3200 speed DDR4. Any reason you went slower? And it's Dual Channel with 4 slots. Populating all 4 slots not an option?

For the drives, it does support RAID, so, as long as you're getting that free 240 GB SSD, use that for the primary drive and match that 1TB to do a RAID1 config, right?

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    Welcome back!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumps View Post
    Looks like that MoBo supports up to 3200 speed DDR4. Any reason you went slower? And it's Dual Channel with 4 slots. Populating all 4 slots not an option?

For the drives, it does support RAID, so, as long as you're getting that free 240 GB SSD, use that for the primary drive and match that 1TB to do a RAID1 config, right?
    John, thanks. Mumps, the 3.2k memory was not an option and continues not to be. I can call and see if I the build center can do it before I place the order though. As for the Raid set up I have to admit I do not have much experience at all with Raid configurations but it's pretty cheap to do the raid 1 or 0 config. ATT 57 bucks. I must have passed the point of the rebate, no more free SSD, I have a 500GB SSD with the build though.
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

Order has been placed, should have the tower within a week depending on how fast they build it.

Case 1 x Thermaltake Overseer Full Tower Gaming Case - Black
    LED Fan Lighting 1 x 3x [RGB] Azza Hurricane 120mm RGB LED Fan
    1 x [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Hub + ASUS Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter
    Processor 1 x AMD Ryzen 7 1800X Processor (8x 3.6GHZ/16MB L3 Cache)
    Processor Cooling 1 x NZXT Kraken X62 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler - [Ryzen]
    Memory 1 x 32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-2400 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand
    Video Card 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 8GB - EVGA Hybrid FTW (All-in-One Water Cool; VR Ready)
    SLI Bridge 1 x NVIDIA SLI Bridge High Bandwidth for GTX 10 Series (2-Way SLI)
    Motherboard 1 x MSI X370 XPOWER Gaming Titanium -- Mystic Light RGB, 3x PCIe x16, 1x USB 3.1 Gen2, 4x USB 3.1 Gen1, 3x USB 2.0
    Power Supply 1 x 1200 Watt - Corsair AX1200i - 80 PLUS Platinum Full Modular
    M.2/PCI-E SSD Card 1 x 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 PCIe NVME SSD -- Read: 3200MB/s; Write: 1900MB/s
    Primary Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB Hard Drive -- 32MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    Data Hard Drive 1 x 1 TB WD Blue Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    Optical Drive 1 x LG 16x Blu-ray Rewriter, DVD Rewriter Combo Drive - Black
    Media Card Reader / Writer 1 x 12-In-1 Internal Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
    Sound Card 1 x Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Rx [PCIE] -- 7.1 Channels, 192kHz/24-bit, 106 dB SNR
    Network Card 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
    Operating System 1 x Windows 10 Pro - (64-bit)
    Keyboard 1 x Tt eSPORTS Commander Gaming Mouse & Keyboard Combo - Tactile Plunger Switches; Adjustable blue backlighting
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Very sweet setup, Sarge, congrats on the new rig!

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Very sweet setup, Sarge, congrats on the new rig!
    Thanks DrPop! I had to call them right after I ordered of course, made the change to single hard drive to two in a Raid 0 capacity. Asked the build center if they had access to 3.2k memory but they didn't have any yet. Build should be done in five days and I'll receive it shortly after.
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

If you want any protection, you better ask for RAID 1. RAID 0 just combines multiple drive capacities to effectively give you a larger drive. But if you lose one drive, you lose everything on both drives... RAID 1 requires matching drives and they both end up with copies of the content, so if one dies, the other still has all your stuff.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/RAID_0_vs_RAID_1

RAID (redundant array of independent disks) is a storage technology that combines multiple disk drive components into a single logical unit so it behaves as one drive when connected to any other hardware. RAID 1 offers redundancy through mirroring, i.e., data is written identically to two drives. RAID 0 offers no redundancy and instead uses striping, i.e., data is split across all the drives. This means RAID 0 offers no fault tolerance; if any of the constituent drives fails, the RAID unit fails.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast