Re: Sargies Tower upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...PU_Cooler_with

The Swiftech H220 CAN be shipped from MicroCenter
    Duh, I was thinking it was an instore special... Okay then nm my offer

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Silver Member

Recieved the memory yesterday and installed in my current mother board. I know the mother board supports 1600 Ram but its trying to read it as 1333 and locks up when I force it to read it as such. Stress tested it at 1333 using memtest last night to 133% without any faults. Going to go into the bios and force the 1600 read again and do manual timings to see if the errors clear.

*Update* Updated timings and dispit a slow start up the computer is looking a bit more responsive when loading programs and such. After going through the memory settings I'm a tad confused on a few of them, will post a screenshot of my bios page and see if some of the questions can be answered. It looks like the mother board does not support the lower voltage of the ram which is interesting but the 1.5v it is providing should not be a hinderence...Will test once again and post the results soon.
    Last edited by Sarge104; 06-29-13 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Update
    It's not the love of a hero, that's why I fear it won't do
    Chad Kroeger

Silver Member

ram timing1.jpg
    Current settings, changed Cas# Latency to 8, ras to cas to 8, row recharge to 8 and minimum ras active time to 24.
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

Most motherboards do require you to go into BIOS and and set RAM to 1600 MHz even though it claims to support that speed normally, so don't be discouraged by that. Looks like you got it working Your board not supporting low voltage isn't a problem either. 1.5v is actually the standard DDR3 spec anyway so no harm would be done to your RAM. Too bad your board won't allow you to use less electricity though :/

Just because i like to tinker, i'd change the following:
    TwTr Command Delay from 6 to 5
    Write Recovery Time from 12 to 10
    Precharge Time from 6 to 5
    Row Cycle Time from 40 to 33
    Ras to Ras Delay from 5 to 4

If those settings work, great. Then i would change Command Timing to 1T. If not, no big deal. I'm glad your system already feels more snappy and responsive

Silver Member

Most motherboards do require you to go into BIOS and and set RAM to 1600 MHz even though it claims to support that speed normally, so don't be discouraged by that. Looks like you got it working Your board not supporting low voltage isn't a problem either. 1.5v is actually the standard DDR3 spec anyway so no harm would be done to your RAM. Too bad your board won't allow you to use less electricity though :/

Just because i like to tinker, i'd change the following:
    TwTr Command Delay from 6 to 5
    Write Recovery Time from 12 to 10
    Precharge Time from 6 to 5
    Row Cycle Time from 40 to 33
    Ras to Ras Delay from 5 to 4

If those settings work, great. Then i would change Command Timing to 1T. If not, no big deal. I'm glad your system already feels more snappy and responsive
    When I started to do the memory tests the computer BSOD'ed put the timings back on auto to see if that corrected it and it did. Going to start with baby steps and see what the hang up is. Currently still going at 1600 on the ram but just testing with the auto settings for a bit to see if it crashes again.
    Chad Kroeger

Past Administrator

Does your motherboard have a setting for using the XMP Profile built in to the RAM? If so, try setting it on that instead of manual.

Silver Member

Unfortunately I'm unable to use the ram to its full potential with my current mother board . There is something preventing me from using it to its full 1600 CLB and I've clocked it back down to 1333 to maintain stability. Will do some stress testing again to see if any further crashes occur.
    Chad Kroeger

Platinum Member

Your motherboard's BIOS doesn't have a selection to enable XMP? Weird...but then i'm not used to AMD boards. Were you getting another board in your build plans?

Past Administrator

Your motherboard's BIOS doesn't have a selection to enable XMP? Weird...but then i'm not used to AMD boards. Were you getting another board in your build plans?
    Newer AMD boards have XMP support - at least my ASUS Crosshair Formula (Socket AM3+) did. That board he is using is a bit dated - it's a Gigabyte so good quality probably, but it's got the 700 series chipset in it. Anything with a 900 series chipset will have XMP support. I'm sure it's a chipset issue, because when that board came out, I'll bet you couldn't even buy 1600 RAM. Or if you could, it would have been quite expensive.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast