Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lightening strike

Gold Member

Lightening strike

Had a strike a few days ago and didn't really see anything going on on the boxes to raise any flags. Came down Thursday and had one box shut down. After troubleshooting I found a bad power supply and a bad motherboard. The board is a P5QL Pro. I gives me a USB overvoltage error plus it doesn't see the USB mouse or keyboard. Tried with a regular mouse and keyboard with the same results. Spent about an hour with tech support only to find out that the board would need a new cmos chip. If I sent it in it would be at least $129 to repair and since it is a soldered in chip i'm not going to try.
    Looked around and noticed a P8Z77 LE-V board on ebay and picked it up. Since it is a 1155 board you know that I needed a new cpu. Well after watching ebay and seeing what the used chips were selling for I decided new was best. Ordered a i7 3770K from the Egg this morning. This setup will replace my 775 core 2 duo. Now just hope the stuff comes when the wife is gone.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Re: Lightening strike

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    ...Since it is a 1155 board you know that I needed a new cpu...a i7 3770K from the Egg this morning....Now just hope the stuff comes when the wife is gone.
    Haha! Oh man, leave it to you to turn an unfortunate situation into a hilarious one! Hope the new hardware works awesome for you and you're going to LOVE that new i7 3770K!

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Haha! Oh man, leave it to you to turn an unfortunate situation into a hilarious one! Hope the new hardware works awesome for you and you're going to LOVE that new i7 3770K!
    Ditto!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Administrator

You'll really like the 3770k's. I just upgraded 2 of my rigs with the 3770k. I overclocked both to 4.4ghz without much effort. The first one was a more traditional, voltage increase, enable this, disable that and it runs very stable. The 2nd one I did nothing more than bump the multiplier to 44 and it remained stable, voltage is 1.1659, pulling about 59 watts (about 10 watts less than its twin with the voltage bump) at 100% load on PG with a high core temp of 75c. Have fun with it!

Gold Member

Thanks for all the info. I usually use Asus AI Suite II and just let it go. Right now it is running my 2600K at 4.3 and 67 degrees under full Boinc load.
    2nd thought....if anyone has the means to repair and use the P5QL I would be happy to give it away for shipping. I have cd and the manual to go with it. Send me a PM and as soon as I get it out of the box I can get it packaged up and have the wife ship it.

Past Administrator

Fire$torm might be able to do it! He's pretty good with soldering electronics. Probably depends on how many pins are coming out of that chip - well, that will determine the time it will take at least.

Gold Member

I just don't get along with things electronic even though when I went into the Army all my tests said I should go into that field. That would have been a disaster. I hate things that are small and precision. Give me something BIG like a radial helicopter engine to work on. No problem!
    This is a decent board and I don't think shipping would be that much. Maybe someone can use it. I don't think I could sneak all the parts necessary to build another box with that board past the wife.

Administrator

Thanks for all the info. I usually use Asus AI Suite II and just let it go. Right now it is running my 2600K at 4.3 and 67 degrees under full Boinc load.
    2nd thought....if anyone has the means to repair and use the P5QL I would be happy to give it away for shipping. I have cd and the manual to go with it. Send me a PM and as soon as I get it out of the box I can get it packaged up and have the wife ship it.
    I forgot to mention that the stock cooler is fine at stock clocks up to about 3.7ghz. After that you'll need something better. For me the Hyper 212 EVO in Push/Pull, works well at 4.4ghz. The other 3770k has the Noctua NH-D14 is a monster that works as well or better that most closed loop coolers.

Gold Member

I have a CoolerMaster V6GT that I am planning to put on it. It has done a good job on the 2600K so I will put the stock cooler back on the 2600K and reuse the V6.I have the 2 120mm fans on it so it should do a good job.

Administrator

I have a CoolerMaster V6GT that I am planning to put on it. It has done a good job on the 2600K so I will put the stock cooler back on the 2600K and reuse the V6.I have the 2 120mm fans on it so it should do a good job.
    That'll work.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast