Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lightening strike

Gold Member

Re: Lightening strike

Thatt's what I figured. I will just plug it in and hope for the best.

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

Unlike Linux, Windows is very, very S T U P I D! M$ has really never ever moved away from its DOS days. M$ just keeps piling more crap onto the OS kernel to disguise this fact.

I said all of that because in the old days DOS, do to the way the DOS kernel functions, it had to be written for specific CPU families. Windows does the same thing only more so. When you install Windows, it actually writes code within the installed OS to configure it to the hardware. So any major change to the hardware infrastructure like MB or CPU, Windows will crash, always. This necessitates reinstalling Windows for the new hardware. M$ also uses this "Locking In" as a way to justify their licensing policy. If you read the Windows End User License Agreement closely, changing hardware requires a new license, which of course you have to pay for!!! Bollocks to all that!

Anyhoot good luck.

Oh ya, btw, Windows may force you to call a toll free number to activate it. When the automated attendant asks the question, "How many computers has this copy of Windows been installed on?" your answer needs to be ONE. No other answer will allow activation!!!

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fire$torm View Post
    When the automated attendant asks the question, "How many computers has this copy of Windows been installed on?" your answer needs to be ONE. No other answer will allow activation!!!
    +1
    It's very important you answer "ONE" even if the real answer is 19 or 0. Just tell them what they want to hear so you can get on with your day

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by John P. Myers View Post
    +1
    It's very important you answer "ONE" even if the real answer is 19 or 0. Just tell them what they want to hear so you can get on with your day
    I learned that answerr a long, long, long time ago. I have been ree-installing Windows for a long time and I have talked to the activation line a lot.

I decided to put the board and cpu in a Win 7 box for now. I have tries sme minor ocing and have it running at 4.3 on AI Suite II. That is less than the 2600K for now. I will probably go through the trouble of changing out the board and cpu to my main box this weekend.

Silver Member

We just had a lightning strike about 2 hours ago near here, and I expect to read tomorrow what it hit. But it must not have hit the power as it did not go down or surge at all!

But it did help me catch the GPU that was about to melt down as the fan had quit turning! Quick re-oiling and it is off again!
    BOINC Sees it - BOINC DOES it!

Past Administrator

Wow! Glad you caught it in time, and hope all you guys with the lightening bug are safe these days!

Gold Member

So lightening did something good. Glad you caught it. I had another PSU quit yesterday. I wonder if that is part of the strike. It was about 5 years old though. Now I don't have any spares left. Got to fo out and find some cheap but running 2x GTX570s it won't be that cheap.

Gold Member

After much searching and reading I have found out that there is very little difference in the 2 boards so............pulled the 3730k from the Z77 board and just insstalled it in the Z68 board. No problems on boot except the bios reset for the chip. Simple except that the chip is running at 70 c even with the V6 cooler. Going to have to look into that tomorrow.

Gopher_FreeDC

eep! 70c not good....

If my Quad hit 60c it was time to clean the HS.... mind you that was at stock speed with a stock fan...

Diamond Member

Meh. My 6-core SB are running at 80c just fine, for over a year now.
    "Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them" - Jackson Browne

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast