Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Lightening strike

Past Administrator

Re: Lightening strike

Yeah, 70C is just fine - that is overclocked temp, right?

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrPop View Post
    Yeah, 70C is just fine - that is overclocked temp, right?
    That is the problem, that is stock speed! It is in a full case Thermaltake Black Shark with 120 mm intake and exhaust and I added a 120 side fan plus it has a Coolermaster GT V6 cooler eith dual 120mm fans. I just can't get it down. I am going to pull it later today and reseat the heat sink but if I can't get it down I will order a closed loop water system (Tired of this sh*t) If I can't get any speed out of it it doesn't do me any good. But trust me, I WILL WIN THE BATTLE!!!!!

RETIRED. NO JOB. NO MONEY. NO WORRIES!

Crunched SETI Classic to the end.

SETI@home classic workunits
    SETI@home classic CPU time 86,861 hours

Past Administrator

You might have an air bubble, strand of hair or a speck of dried thermal paste trapped between the CPU and the Cooler's cold Plate.

After you wipe off the thermal paste, I would recommend that you use an old (but clean) tooth brush and some isopropyl alcohol to clean up the cold plate especially if it does not have a mirror finish. Then wipe it with a clean micro fiber cloth (with the grain) to insure a clean surface.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

I always clean with alcohol and wipe dry with a very fine piece of cloth. No luck I now have it up to 4.2 at 69 c. Believe it or not but I took out the 2nd fan. I ordered a closed loop from the egg. The price is right after rebate. If it works well I will have one shipped to one of the kids and I will use it on the 2600K.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103180

Inexpensive and a $30 rebate. It should do the trick for what I need, I hope.
    Last edited by c303a; 07-23-13 at 04:03 PM.

Past Administrator

Question: Is this a new CPU or one you've had for awhile?

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

Brand new from the egg. I have not tried the stock cooler. That is on the 2600K because a mounting leg snapped off. Darned plastic legs.

Past Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by c303a View Post
    Brand new from the egg. I have not tried the stock cooler. That is on the 2600K because a mounting leg snapped off. Darned plastic legs.
    Then I think the reason for your high temps is the CPU itself. Some time back, Intel & AMD stopped soldering the IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader = the metal top of the CPU). Now they use thermal paste to mate the IHS to the CPU chip inside. But, paste can be applied wrong and/or dry out. Also it does not conduct heat as well as solder as the process of soldering creates a mechanical bond at the molecular level.

Just for reference take a look at this informative post on OverClock's site ---> IHS Removal How-To

And my post with a video How-To ---> http://www.setiusa.us/showthread.php...or-you&p=61363

Edit: Another possible reason might be that the IHS is not as flat as it should be. I bought a used Core i7 on eBay that ended up with this problem. Had to lap the IHS. It was so bad that when I was done, I also had to grind down the CPU socket retention bracket so my cooler's cold plate could make full contact with the IHS....
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 07-23-13 at 05:45 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Past Administrator

P5QL Update:

Well, I get the same error as you do c303a. But looking at the board I discovered that the BIOS chip is not soldered to it. The chip is an 8-pin IC package and socket arrangement. Wish I had gone ahead and researched this puppy like I said I would, before you sent it off to me. Sorry about that.

There is a seller on eBay with great ratings, that has new BIOS chips flashed to the most recent Asus update for the P5QL. Price is about $13.00 shipped. I won't be able to order it until the first of the month as I just did replace my keyboard. My trusty 13 year old HP had started flaking out a couple of months ago, with more and more keys not registering properly or at all as time went on. (Which totally sucks when gaming)

Anyhoot, I'll keep you updated on my progress, or lack there of....

F$
    Last edited by Fire$torm; 07-24-13 at 12:21 PM.

Future Maker? Teensy 3.6

Gold Member

That shows you how much Asus knows about their own boards. They said it was a soldered chip. Aw well, live and let someone who knows what they are doing handle the things that you know nothing about.

Gold Member

OK! Got the Coolermaster Seidon 120 XL installed on the i3770K. Temps are now running at 34 c at idle and hovering between 67-68 at full load. CPU is now running at 4595 according to Asus Suite II with a full load of 8 cores on Convector plus WUProp and the GTX 570 is running GPU Grid.

Install was easy and clean. This is a great cooler for the price. If you need a cooler hurry as this rebates ends the 29th at the Egg.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234