Thread: power mac g4???

Gold Member

power mac g4???

so i forgot i bought this thing for 15$ a few months ago to stick in my datacenter for remote access/ crypto glance server , anyways it didnt work as well as i thought so it ended up in my closet i just saw it today while i was digging in there looking for something else

iirc its dual 1.4ghz cpus and 8gb of ram , i know i currently have ubuntu 12.x.x server on it
    is this thing worth digging out and hooking up for crunching

Gold Member

Re: power mac g4???

The Power PC units won't have many (if any) apps written for them. You can built them up to 10.5 at best. For a while they held their value, I had sold many of our old ones on e-bay, but after 2011, they cost more to ship than they were worth. Only people who will find those useful are people with old copies of Final Cut Studio or Pro Tools. Generally it's a starving artist or musician who will always ask the question: "will it run my (cracked) copy of Pro Tools?"

Regarding use for datacenter access: You can try the PMU reset button on the motherboard, and see if it boots in to BIOS or off of a CD. I don't know how Mac savvy you are, but in my dusty archives I might have a bootable .dmg of 10.4 that you could image onto a [PATA] hard drive using carbon copy cloner.

Vic

Gold Member

Re: power mac g4???

Quote Originally Posted by cineon_lut View Post
    The Power PC units won't have many (if any) apps written for them. You can built them up to 10.5 at best. For a while they held their value, I had sold many of our old ones on e-bay, but after 2011, they cost more to ship than they were worth. Only people who will find those useful are people with old copies of Final Cut Studio or Pro Tools. Generally it's a starving artist or musician who will always ask the question: "will it run my (cracked) copy of Pro Tools?"

Regarding use for datacenter access: You can try the PMU reset button on the motherboard, and see if it boots in to BIOS or off of a CD. I don't know how Mac savvy you are, but in my dusty archives I might have a bootable .dmg of 10.4 that you could image onto a [PATA] hard drive using carbon copy cloner.

Vic
    it originally had 10.4 on it but the software i needed would only run on 10.5 and up , so i did the ubunutu install from a usb stick . i havent used a mac since high school except for the lil tinkering i did with this g4. if anything ill update the ubuntu to 14.x.x server and stick it back in the datacenter , for the time being i have my laptop in the dc for remote access which sucks , actually wish i woulda bought one more of them for 100$ shipped when i saw them
    not a bad deal i dont think
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/381320284215...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT