Thread: A better world for children!

Diamond Member

A better world for children!

For a better world for children!

Just over 300 years that civilization discovered childhood. What does that mean? The child was worthless throughout history - was not a subject of rights, was not regretted, if dead, there was no literature directed to them, the schools did not have adequate methods to develop their talents, the child had no voice whatsoever and ... was not considered as a child. This means that it was not seen as a developing human being with special needs, worthy of respect in their stage of maturation. Not socially condemned the pedophilia, the beating of children in school and at home was a commonplace thing, child labor was legal.

After great educators such as Comenius, Rousseau, Pestalozzi, Montessori, Janusz Korzcak, who worked tirelessly for children, demonstrating in recent centuries, the child is a child, not a miniature adult, have to be treated and respected as so - to a new culture and a new law came into effect in many countries. The Universal Declaration of the Rights of Children inspires local laws, as our Statute of Children and Adolescents.

Having this civilizational advance was very important. However, despite these advances, the child is still far from having a voice that deserves to be respected in their specific childhood and to be treated with the love that would make it blossomed their full potential.

Although condemned socially, pedophilia is a fact too often around the world and, what is worse, in families of all social classes; violence against children, at home or in society is something all too common; the exploitation of child labor takes indecent proportions in China and it happens in front of our noses all the time, The militancy so that children have their rights or to have a voice, is a constant need and can be considered a humanitarian emergency. It turns out that all social sectors have their representativeness, his activism, his voice: women, for 200 years have fought for their equality and their achievements are evident; ethnic minorities, sex - all go to the streets, demanding ... but the how about the children? They are tutored! They can not denounce the father that rapes, the mother that slays the school that torture mentally and not do its duties ... They can not go to the streets, to Congress, they can not vote, they don't have websites, they don't appear on television speaking in interviews, opining on the conditions in which they live. The child has no channels to demonstrate and claim - when they can speak, as an adult, the damage has already been done, already suffering was excessive, the brand has become irreversible. So we must speak for them, fight for every child and lend them our voice. We are all they have.

But if we think that the child is only disrespected in these extreme cases of sexual abuse, beatings and child labor, we are very much mistaken. I always say that childhood is the last stronghold of tyranny. In our daily lives, among "normal" and "civilized", which does not admit pedophilia, violence and exploitation, even then, the child is disrespected in a lot of situations. Let us enumerate a few:

• In daily propaganda of TV, which is exposed and that parents usually do not complain. Here children are manipulated to rampant consumerism, to eating garbage, for a sexual stimulation for an early and excessive violence ... and no one takes a stand.

• The school, with uninteresting lessons of 50 minutes, given by archaic teachers, unprepared, underpaid, discouraged ... is a prison for childhood creativity, a process of slow death of his talents, his curiosity, its development momentum. The new school has never met the traditional needs, curiosities and abilities of children and, much less, childhood of the XXI century!

The neglect that the child of today is exposed. Many parents (of all classes) do not put the children first and the child should always be a priority in the family, school and society. Since the child is the best part of mankind, not yet corrupted with wonderful promises, which if not met, become frustrated embittered adults. The child is the future and who does not prioritize the future is condemning it! Children are hungry for attention, affection, eye to eye dialogue!

• Relationships with children still suffer from many addictions unforgivable: yell all the time with these sentient beings, we ordinary lie to these little people so sincere and gullible ... We have a habit of ignoring their opinions and do not talk with them in a respectful manner , serene and loving!

As it turns out, we still have much to gain for the children to have a happy life on this planet, receive the love they deserve and can flourish as whole beings, for a full life!

It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever

Silver Member

Re: A better world for children!

Thanks for the post. Glad I saw it and read it. Now just need to try and act on it with my own kids.

Diamond Member

Re: A better world for children!

Quote Originally Posted by NJCaNS View Post
    Thanks for the post. Glad I saw it and read it. Now just need to try and act on it with my own kids.
    This post was made from a female educator and not from me, as you could noticed I did sign it. I translated it from Portuguese that was my small contribution on this post. Her name is well known and considered on the Educators community and for sure I trust on her opinion.

I don't mean to tell anyone how to educate their children. The target of this thread is to create a different spirit towards children, you see NJCaNS some people think about children as their own property, that is root of all problems on this issue.

A peaceful intervention in the world is made by words and if my words offended you, I am very sorry, that was never my intention. The involvement in this kind of problems is never easy. As age is coming we sometimes awake for some troubles of the world and we can accommodate to them or try to change the world a bit.

Inaction and frustration towards the world leads to very bad feelings as we can see in Iraqi, Brazil, Egypt, Syria, USA (and many others), in mean-less and violent actions against peaceful citizens with guns, bombs or stones and sticks. Violence grows in a bad tree made of frustration and inactivity. I will never give up of trying to improve the world and will never ask for pardon to try it. I may not achieve it but at least I will save myself from FRUSTRATION and INACTION. At least I have saved one that is better than saving no one.

From another text:

You are the bows from which your children
    as living arrows are sent forth.
    The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
    and He bends you with His might
    that His arrows may go swift and far.
    Let your bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
    For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
    so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Kahlil Gibran
    Last edited by Duke of Buckingham; 08-22-13 at 09:23 AM.
    Friends are like diamonds and diamonds are forever