Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A slight change.

A slight change.

I think spammers have been using our contact us link on the forum to create spam as I have been seeing a large uptake in bad email bounces targeting the contact us link. I have disabled non-registered users from using the contact us email link. To help users who are having registration issues I have opened up the guest forum to posting for non-registered users. While I expect that this forum will be hit by spam posters, I would rather that we deal with that on our terms rather than having people user our contact email form to spam others.

I think it would be helpful to have some moderators assigned to this guest forum. Would anyone be willing to help out doing that?

Administrator

Re: A slight change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hankey View Post
    I think spammers have been using our contact us link on the forum to create spam as I have been seeing a large uptake in bad email bounces targeting the contact us link. I have disabled non-registered users from using the contact us email link. To help users who are having registration issues I have opened up the guest forum to posting for non-registered users. While I expect that this forum will be hit by spam posters, I would rather that we deal with that on our terms rather than having people user our contact email form to spam others.

I think it would be helpful to have some moderators assigned to this guest forum. Would anyone be willing to help out doing that?
    I'm willing to help a bit with that. I assume that helping would entail getting information to those who are trying to get registered and to weed out and delete SPAM posts?
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    I'm willing to help a bit with that. I assume that helping would entail getting information to those who are trying to get registered and to weed out and delete SPAM posts?
    That is correct, thanks for volunteering.

You should be setup....

Hmm looks like I have a bigger problem.... there seems to be bots mass creating accounts. For now I have changed the image verification setting to be more difficult. If that doesn't work I will probably need to change the registration process to moderated.

Administrator

Hmm looks like I have a bigger problem.... there seems to be bots mass creating accounts. For now I have changed the image verification setting to be more difficult. If that doesn't work I will probably need to change the registration process to moderated.
    I guess that would explain why it seems there is always someone registering no matter what time of day or night...
    "My god! Do we really suck, or is this guy really that good?" - Mr Hertz - Shoot 'Em Up

Advisor - Stateside Division

I get that at the Free-DC forums too, very common problem. I had to switch the registration there to be moderated. It's a fairly simple process to accept or delete new accounts and most spam ones are quite obvious.

I switched to moderated last night as I had 3 fraudulent registrations around 2am after I had made changes. I deleted about 200 false registrations last night 1:1 through the UI (which sucks by the way as there is no way to do it bulk based on a search criteria) I think I have identified another 150 or so that need to go..... I even deleted some of the bastards while they were "editing their profiles"

Gold Member

I switched to moderated last night as I had 3 fraudulent registrations around 2am after I had made changes. I deleted about 200 false registrations last night 1:1 through the UI (which sucks by the way as there is no way to do it bulk based on a search criteria) I think I have identified another 150 or so that need to go..... I even deleted some of the bastards while they were "editing their profiles"
    Did you get SUncleSamA while you were at it?
    6r39 7r199

Administrator

Thought this was interesting...

Guest 05:26 PM Viewing Error Message Unknown Location WOLPATH 91.201.66.60

What is WOLPATH? And why is he sitting there so long???

Also, I thought Guests could only view the Guest Forum.
    Last edited by STMahlberg; 01-17-11 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STMahlberg View Post
    Thought this was interesting...

Guest 05:26 PM Viewing Error Message Unknown Location WOLPATH 91.201.66.60

What is WOLPATH? And why is he sitting there so long???

Also, I thought Guests could only view the Guest Forum.
    I saw that as well... People try to modify the html path to find unsecured php files or gain other methods to access the site....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast